cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vrs07nl
Community Contributor

Does observer role mean read only?

Jump to solution

I have been asked to enrol an external client onto a canvas course so that they can see how courses are set up and function as they will be responsible for managing staff taking the course with us.

We need to be sure that the role is read only and that they cannot download the material and pass it on.

Will the observer role do this? 

Or will I need to enrol them on the course and then conclude their enrolment? 

Whatever role will I need to enrol them on all 12 sections of the course that we have set up ( monthly start dates)

Any and all advice welcome !

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Steve_Watts
Community Champion

Hi vrs07nl

An Observer is a bit like a cut-down version of the Student role but can, if you choose, see the activity of certain students that the course teacher allows them to view. A user in the Observer role can view content as though they were a student but they don't get grades so can't take quizzes etc. The role is really intended for someone such as a parent, personal tutor etc. so that they can view how the students they're responsible for (or their own children) are progressing. To achieve this, an Observer can be attached to an individual student - this would allow them to see assignment submissions and grades for that particular student, but not grade the student's work.

If you enrol someone as an Observer but don't attach them to any students then they will still see the course content as if they were a student. This could achieve what you're looking for but other community members might have better suggestions.

What can Observers do in a Canvas course?

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Steve_Watts
Community Champion

Hi vrs07nl

An Observer is a bit like a cut-down version of the Student role but can, if you choose, see the activity of certain students that the course teacher allows them to view. A user in the Observer role can view content as though they were a student but they don't get grades so can't take quizzes etc. The role is really intended for someone such as a parent, personal tutor etc. so that they can view how the students they're responsible for (or their own children) are progressing. To achieve this, an Observer can be attached to an individual student - this would allow them to see assignment submissions and grades for that particular student, but not grade the student's work.

If you enrol someone as an Observer but don't attach them to any students then they will still see the course content as if they were a student. This could achieve what you're looking for but other community members might have better suggestions.

What can Observers do in a Canvas course?

View solution in original post

vrs07nl
Community Contributor

@steve  Thanks for clarifying... i have enrolled them as observer but unattached... i am assuming that they can still download and see file content but we will have to live with that