Does previewing a quiz count as an attempt

Jump to solution
paul_burt
Community Member

Hi, when creating a new quiz in a course, previewing it and then attempting to continue editing the quiz – I see the attached warning in a blue box:

"Students have either already taken or started taking this quiz, so take care when editing it. If you change any quiz questions in a significant way, you might want to consider re-grading students' quizzes who took the old version of the quiz. Students have either already taken or started taking this quiz, so take care when editing it. If you change any quiz questions in a significant way, you might want to consider re-grading students' quizzes who took the old version of the quiz."

The quiz is not published and not available to students.

So does previewing the quiz cause this? If so this is not a helpful warning because it is a false warning.
When clicking the Preview button does this record the attempt against the teacher's account? How, if at all, does this relate to the "Test Student" that automatically appears in the gradebook?

Thanks in advance

Paul

1 Solution
JDW223
Community Participant

Hi,  @paul_burt  and Welcome!

I hope I fully understand your question(s) in order to provide a correct answer here - bear with me and correct it. 

The instructor reviews a quiz* as self...

When previewing a quiz, a border (typically, red/purple hue) appears at the bottom of the screen and outlines the window. The border should display the word "Preview" to indicate that the instructor is previewing the quiz as if they are a student. In my experience, previewing a quiz as the instructor has not counted as an attempt.

Here are some Canvas LMS Guides that may be helpful to you:

The instructor completes a quiz as "Test Student"...

When completing a quiz via the "Student View", the course's 'Teacher' (e.g. your role in the course you teach) is automatically viewing a quiz as if they are the "Test Student". A "Test Student" quiz attempt does count as an attempt overall. Therefore, when going back into the quiz to adjust questions or settings, the error will appear (even if the quiz is not published).

While in the "Student View" you are able to complete Quizzes, comment on Discussion Boards, etc. (within reason) to test out the functionality from students' perspectives. I also find that reviewing the functionality of the "Test Student" role is quite helpful when designing a course. Here's a Canvas LMS Guide that overviews the 'Student View': https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-26310-how-do-i-view-a-course-as-a-test-student-using-studen... 

My best from MS,

Jeanna

*Note: there are some similarities and differences between "Quizzes" and "New Quizzes". Be sure to check out the Guides: Canvas‌ for more detailed information.

View solution in original post

0 Likes