cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sgriffith
Community Contributor

Does your Canvas Mobile Login Look Weird too?

Jump to solution

This quarter when a Canvas user tries to login to the app or on a mobile device, the screen shrinks the username box.  Is anyone else having this issue? Were you able to solve it yourself or did you need to contact Canvas support?

189814_pastedImage_1.png

Thanks!

Sarah

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sgriffith
Community Contributor

Good Morning fellow Detectives!

Last night I enlisted the help of Canvas Support in our mystery. Turns out it's a bug for colleges using a custom label in the login field. Here was their response:

"Hello Sarah, I apologize for this situation. I was able to recreate this behavior as well, so I'm going to escalate this situation to our support staff. That way they can troubleshoot further. It seems to be caused by using a custom Login Label that shrinks the login box.

Once we have a resolution to this problem, we'll follow-up with an additional email. I'll keep this ticket on-hold for now, so we can send that response. Please let us know if there's any other questions or concerns."

@kblack ​, if you'd like to be added to the case for notification when the problem is fixed, you can reference case number 01408697.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

13 Replies
d21585h
Community Contributor

It looks fine to me.

kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @sgriffith ​ - That's interesting; it IS happening to me, as well.  So given that d21585h​ is not getting it, I wonder if it's down to a recent iOS version or model type.  I am on iOS 9.3.2 (latest), but am using an older model iPad.  An iPad 2(!).

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@sgriffith ​, it's a mystery. d21585h​ is not seeing it, but  @kblack ​ is. I just tried two different Canvas accounts, on an (ancient!) iPhone 5, which miraculously can run the latest iOS, and here's what I see:

IMG_1729.PNG

IMG_1730.PNG

Although they look different, both look acceptable.

sgriffith
Community Contributor

Hi  @kblack ​, d21585h​, and stefaniesanders​!

Thanks for your responses! I also have an iPhone running iOS 9.3.2 and an old iPad (classics are good!). I also checked our login page on a Samsung Galaxy 6 and it is also showing the weird screen.  It makes me wonder if it has something to do with the edits on our theme editor? We have a message in the username field, maybe there's something in the JavaScript that's shrinking the box? Unfortunately, I do not speak JavaScript and can't tell if there is a problem with it.

kblack
Community Champion

Actually, I can attest that we have done NOTHING special in our theme editor other than using the ready-made choices that are already present in the new UI, and do not have any custom Javascript.  And...to add to the puzzle...I just logged in to the Canvas app on my Android phone and am getting the same thing.  So I wonder if it's just a select few institutions out there or depends on the server being used? 

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

OK,  @sgriffith ​ and  @kblack , so the mystery continues...and I love a good mystery Smiley Happy, so I've looped the Canvas Mobile Users​ group into this discussion; if anyone has seen this, they have.

sgriffith
Community Contributor

Good Morning fellow Detectives!

Last night I enlisted the help of Canvas Support in our mystery. Turns out it's a bug for colleges using a custom label in the login field. Here was their response:

"Hello Sarah, I apologize for this situation. I was able to recreate this behavior as well, so I'm going to escalate this situation to our support staff. That way they can troubleshoot further. It seems to be caused by using a custom Login Label that shrinks the login box.

Once we have a resolution to this problem, we'll follow-up with an additional email. I'll keep this ticket on-hold for now, so we can send that response. Please let us know if there's any other questions or concerns."

@kblack ​, if you'd like to be added to the case for notification when the problem is fixed, you can reference case number 01408697.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

kblack
Community Champion

Thank you,  @sgriffith ​!  I shall do that!

snugent
Community Champion

I just logged into the Polls app on Android 6.0.1 and see what you reported and we do have a custom login label.