cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hvettori
Community Member

Double email notifications

Is anyone else receiving double email notifications whenever a student submits something in Canvas? I am. They come back to back for each submittance (yes, that is a new word that I just coined!)

7 Replies
abunag
Community Champion

Check your notifications in Canvas.  It's possible you have notifications set for two email addresses that are either the same, or one email address is forwarding to the other.

You can check notifications by going to your account, and clicking on the "notifications" tab.

hvettori
Community Member

Nope, that didn’t help. I have one email address in there. It just started happening with this last assignment. It didn’t happen before that.

Thanks,

Holly

abunag
Community Champion

Odd...are the emails absolutely identical?  I'm wondering if there's two things triggered by one submission.  If so, then there's likely some small differences in the emails.

hvettori
Community Member

They look completely identical and have the exact same timestamp…

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I'd go ahead and contact Canvas Support and see if they can help (Help link --> Report a Problem).

klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @hvettori  ~ It's been a while since we've heard from you, and I wanted to take the opportunity to circle back to this conversation. After contacting Canvas Support, do you have any tips you could share with the general Canvas Community? That way, if anyone stumbles upon your answer, they can try to fix the issue! Let us know how things are going. Smiley Happy

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @hvettori ‌...

It's been several months since we last heard from you and since there's been any new activity in this topic, so I thought that I would check in with you.  I did a little bit of testing in my own Canvas sandbox course, and here is what I found:

As a student, I submitted a file attachment and included a comment along with the attachment.  As an instructor, I have notifications for assignment submissions set to come both to my staff e-mail account and as a text message to my phone.  When I checked my staff e-mail account, I had two message for the single submission.  The difference is the subject line:

• Submission Comment: Frodo Baggins, Outcome Assessment
  • Submisson: Frodo Baggins, Outcome Assessment

So for me, the first e-mail was to notify me that a new comment was included as part of the initial submission.  The second message was just to let me know that the assignment had been submitted.

I tried this out again with a different student, Inigo Montoya (I think you can see what movies I enjoy, LOL!).  This time, I only attached a file to the same assignment, Outcome Assessment.  When I looked at my e-mail Inbox, I only had one message:

• Submission: Inigo Montoya, Outcome Assessment

I'm not sure if you're still experiencing this issue or not, but in a way, I wasn't able to really replicate it on my end.  If students are not including any comments with their submission to you (it's just a file attachment, for example), I would recommend contacting the folks at Instructure's Help Desk (as others have suggested above).  It's also possible that Instructure has already addressed this potential bug as a part of one of their Production Release Notes documents, but haven't looked through any of them to see if this is the case or not.

Since we've not heard from you in quite a while and since there hasn't been any new activity in this thread since May 30th, I am going to go ahead and mark your question as "Assumed Answered".  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional replies below.  I hope this is okay with you, Holly.  Looking forward to hearing from you.