cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kevinn
Community Member

Download rubric comments in speed grader

Jump to solution

I use the rubric feature to mark my assignments in speed grader, is there any way the the comments against each criterion along with the rubric can be downloaded in the feedback comments? 

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Steve_Watts
Community Champion

Hi  @kevinn 

I don't believe this is possible from within Canvas itself, but if you have a bit of programming skill you could write some code using the Canvas API that pulls out all the submissions for a specific assignment then for each submission in the data that's returned you could see information including rubric comments, and display this in a table, spreadsheet etc.

Take a look at this recent post where another community member was asking about exporting assignment submissions and feedback. The aim here wasn't exactly the same as what you want - he was after text comments added in the SpeedGrader rather than rubric comments - but the method I described in my answer is similar to what would be used to get the rubric comments. The link I gave to the API documentation will also be relevant if you decide to try this for yourself.Export assignment comments for course

It might look a little complicated so if programming isn't your speciality you could ask your local Canvas administrator or another technical support colleague for assistance.

View solution in original post

amberckerr
Community Member

I cannot believe that this STILL isn't a feature on Canvas! It's unbelievably awkward.  I make extensive use of rubrics for grading everything from simple homeworks to long essays. It's really frustrating not to be able to download the comments, and I imagine it's very frustrating for the students too. Right now I'm documenting a plagiarism case, and the inability to download and save my comments on a student's paper is just... ridiculous. I have to take screenshots of the content within the webpage. What the heck, guys?!

5 Replies
Steve_Watts
Community Champion

Hi  @kevinn 

I don't believe this is possible from within Canvas itself, but if you have a bit of programming skill you could write some code using the Canvas API that pulls out all the submissions for a specific assignment then for each submission in the data that's returned you could see information including rubric comments, and display this in a table, spreadsheet etc.

Take a look at this recent post where another community member was asking about exporting assignment submissions and feedback. The aim here wasn't exactly the same as what you want - he was after text comments added in the SpeedGrader rather than rubric comments - but the method I described in my answer is similar to what would be used to get the rubric comments. The link I gave to the API documentation will also be relevant if you decide to try this for yourself.Export assignment comments for course

It might look a little complicated so if programming isn't your speciality you could ask your local Canvas administrator or another technical support colleague for assistance.

amberckerr
Community Member

I cannot believe that this STILL isn't a feature on Canvas! It's unbelievably awkward.  I make extensive use of rubrics for grading everything from simple homeworks to long essays. It's really frustrating not to be able to download the comments, and I imagine it's very frustrating for the students too. Right now I'm documenting a plagiarism case, and the inability to download and save my comments on a student's paper is just... ridiculous. I have to take screenshots of the content within the webpage. What the heck, guys?!

kete
Community Member

I really NEED to be able to download my criteria, comments and score that I give the students because we are working as a partner with another University and so I have to pass on all the assignments, exams and feedback for all the students that belong within this partnership for quality checks.  My current solution is just to take a screenshot but this is very antiquated way of doing things!  I hope Canvas comes up with a solution very soon!

jwadec
Community Contributor

@Steve_Watts Do you still have this code somewhere. The page you linked to is no longer available. I think it was referencing the old community when it was on JIVE.

Steve_Watts
Community Champion

Hi @jwadec 
I'm not sure if this is the same post I was linking to but it looks relevant: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Question-Forum/Export-assignment-comments-for-course/m-p/176454