Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
liam_gardner
Community Participant

Downloading Quiz answers

Jump to solution

Hi fellow Canvas warriors! 

Just a quick query I hope you can help with. 

As a training provider in the UK, we are still using an additional #E-Portfolio, because of this we need to provide #evidence of learning on a different platform (Learning Assistant if anyone is interested.)

I wonder if anyone is aware of how to download the questions, answers and feedback given within quizzes. 

To date, we have found that there is the facility to #download the submission feedback from #Quizzes, but not the questions and answers. 

As a workaround, we encourage our tutors to use google chrome to save the page as an HTML page, so when opened all of the evidence is seen. 

I feel that we are missing something here, surely there should be the facility to export or download the entire body of work?

Does anyone else share this issue? or have a solution they could help me with? 

Thanks in advance. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
James
Community Champion

I think as the original question poser that you can change the correct status. You need to decide whether styling is import or content is important.

The API is not going to make it look like it looks inside Canvas. You're going to have to open the page inside Canvas to make it come out looking that way. Canvas applies CSS and JavaScript to make things come out right. The quizzes that have equations will never look right through the API unless you add styling and formatting yourself.

What I would do if I needed it to look exactly like it does in Canvas is to use a headless browser. I used to use Casper or Phantom, but now I think Chrome has it built in. I could load a page and save it to a PDF file. That can be scripted as well so it can iterate through all of the quizzes that you have.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@liam_gardner , I’m pretty sure this is possible either using the Canvas API or Canvas Data. Those are both beyond my area of expertise though so I have shared this with the Canvas Developers‌ group in the Community. You might also consider joining this group so you have access to their resources and information. 

Kona

James
Community Champion

@liam_gardner  

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking for, but hopefully it will help.

If you're after what which questions were delivered and what the student answers and points were, then take a look at the List assignment submissions, List submissions for multiple assignments, or Get a single submission endpoints of the Submissions API. It's not documented, but if you add the include[]=submission_history it will return the quiz data in a property called submission_data for each of the array items under the submission_history property.

302164_pastedImage_2.png

You'll still have to match the codes to the responses and questions as it is the submission data and not the quiz data. You can make headway on that with the List questions in a quiz or a submission endpoint of the Quiz Questions API. In the past, I had trouble when questions were linked to a question bank rather than included in the quiz, but I stopped doing that for other reasons and can't say right now whether those are included or not.

Note that the submissions call uses the assignment ID while the quiz call uses the quiz ID.

My first question above was a text-only question. Here's the second item (90430314)

302166_pastedImage_4.png

The student gave answer_id 25098, which is the "Inferential" response.

liam_gardner
Community Participant

Thanks  @kona ‌! 

liam_gardner
Community Participant

Hi  @James ‌. 

Thanks for this, although Stefanie has marked this as correct, I am still not sure what to do here. 

In its simplest form, My colleagues would like to get a PDF of the questions, answers and feedback for each submission. 

I have little coding / api experience, so would the above deliver this for each student and how would I go about implementing this. 

I appreciate the response and your wisdom!

In an ideal world, it would be great to have a download quiz submission like in the speed grader for assignments.  

Thanks again for your support on this question. 

James
Community Champion

I think as the original question poser that you can change the correct status. You need to decide whether styling is import or content is important.

The API is not going to make it look like it looks inside Canvas. You're going to have to open the page inside Canvas to make it come out looking that way. Canvas applies CSS and JavaScript to make things come out right. The quizzes that have equations will never look right through the API unless you add styling and formatting yourself.

What I would do if I needed it to look exactly like it does in Canvas is to use a headless browser. I used to use Casper or Phantom, but now I think Chrome has it built in. I could load a page and save it to a PDF file. That can be scripted as well so it can iterate through all of the quizzes that you have.

View solution in original post

liam_gardner
Community Participant

Thanks once again  @James ‌!

I didn't mark it as correct and can't see how to unmark it as such. 

We currently save it as an HTML web page, but this sometimes throws staff who are less confident with technology.

To me at least, I can't see why Canvas offer this as a solution for assignments but not quizzes? 

@liam_gardner , we changed this to an open-ended discussion so that it will accommodate multiple proposed solutions, with no single one necessarily having to emerge as uniquely "correct."