cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
judy_harmon
Community Contributor

Downloading a Canvas Commons Resource

Jump to solution

When trying to download a resource from Canvas Commons, it displays it as an IMSCC file and it won't open or load.  I'm sure I must be doing something wrong.  I've looked through the Canvas Guides and the Canvas Commons instructions and am stuck.  Thanks for any assistance!

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @judy_harmon ‌...

For clarification, is there a reason that you would first be downloading the resource/content from Canvas Commons?  Or, are you wanting to immediately bring in that specific resource into your own course?  If you're just wanting to import the resource from Canvas Commons right away, then you can do that by following this Guide: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-9566  (You'd want to use the "Import into Course" button as shown in that Guide.)  Yet, if there is a reason for first downloading the resource to your computer (therefore generating the *.imiscc file, could you please provide some more detail?  Thanks Judy.

View solution in original post

judy_harmon
Community Contributor

Hi Chris.  In essence I learned that you really have to Import items from the Commons rather than Download even though there's a button for Download.  So now I just import items into my Sandbox to check them out.

Thanks for your help.

3 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @judy_harmon ‌...

For clarification, is there a reason that you would first be downloading the resource/content from Canvas Commons?  Or, are you wanting to immediately bring in that specific resource into your own course?  If you're just wanting to import the resource from Canvas Commons right away, then you can do that by following this Guide: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-9566  (You'd want to use the "Import into Course" button as shown in that Guide.)  Yet, if there is a reason for first downloading the resource to your computer (therefore generating the *.imiscc file, could you please provide some more detail?  Thanks Judy.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi again,  @judy_harmon ‌...

I thought I'd check in with you because it's been almost two month since you first posted this question and received a reply from me.  Have you had a chance to review my reply from April 25th?  If so, did it help to answer your question, or do you still have any outstanding questions related to this topic?  If you could please come back to this topic and post an update for the Canvas Community, that would be great!  Thanks Judy...looking forward to hearing from you soon!

judy_harmon
Community Contributor

Hi Chris.  In essence I learned that you really have to Import items from the Commons rather than Download even though there's a button for Download.  So now I just import items into my Sandbox to check them out.

Thanks for your help.