cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sreid111
Community Member

Drafting Codes

Jump to solution

Is there a way to use/access pre-made drafting codes in SpeedGrader? For example, a teacher selects from a bank of comments that they can insert as notes on a student's work.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rmurchshafer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Stephen,

This can be done within Rubrics if you use the option to "use freeform comments" on the rubric instead of ratings.  With this option, with each comment you make in the rubric there will be a checkbox to save the comment for re-use.  I've included a link to the guide page about this below.  

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12895-4152724102 

Short of that, I know some instructors simply have standard comments typed up in Word so that they can copy and paste them into whatever spot they want in SpeedGrader.

Rick

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
rmurchshafer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Stephen,

This can be done within Rubrics if you use the option to "use freeform comments" on the rubric instead of ratings.  With this option, with each comment you make in the rubric there will be a checkbox to save the comment for re-use.  I've included a link to the guide page about this below.  

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12895-4152724102 

Short of that, I know some instructors simply have standard comments typed up in Word so that they can copy and paste them into whatever spot they want in SpeedGrader.

Rick

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
sreid111
Community Member

Thanks Rick. I'm not sure this is even possible in Canvas but it would be ideal to be able to link them to a specific part of the student's work rather than general comments. Looks like the second point you offer is closest to what I'm looking for.

Steve

James
Community Champion

@sreid111 ,

were you the one asking about the GD&T fonts the other day in another message? If so, I want to give you a warning about how you should enter your fonts inside Word when you copy/paste them.

First, Canvas doesn't support the GD&T font. But it does support Unicode. If you can find a Unicode symbol for your drafting symbols, then you may have some success.

Let me start with I don't know anything about GD&T, I'm just taking the most popular hits from Google when preparing these comments.

I looked at the fonts mentioned in this PowerPoint: Unicode for GD&T Symbols - QIF Standard. I typed them into Word using the standard HexCode followed by Alt+X. So to get the Flatness symbol, I would type 23E5 and then press Alt+X.

Here's what it looks like inside Word when I take the codes listed on page 4 of that PowerPoint.

298210_pastedImage_2.png

Yuk! That's not a word I use often, and I tell my wife not to use it with the kids, but that's really not what I was hoping for.

So I downloaded the Verisurf GD&T font that has an open license and installed it on my computer.

That was certainly a lot easier to type since they have remapped regular keys to the symbols. This is what the symbols from their example page look like inside Word once I change the font to Verisurf.

298211_pastedImage_3.png

That looks promising. However, when you paste those into the Doc Viewer, you get this:

298212_pastedImage_5.png

The font doesn't transfer with the paste, so the Unicode characters came through as Unicode and Canvas knew how to display them, even though Word doesn't support them. The fact that you were using the Verisurf GD&T font, on the other hand, was lost by Canvas and it displayed the characters in the font that Canvas uses.

There is also a Y14.5M-2009 font that is in the public domain. It is easier to type, using Alt codes instead of Unicode.

Here are alt-codes 0200 through 0207 inside Word

298213_pastedImage_6.png

However, you still have to install the font and change Word to use it before typing those. That means that it suffers the same fate as the Verisurf GD&T font ... it looks good in Word, but does not translate well into Canvas' DocViewer.

Here it is in Canvas.

298214_pastedImage_7.png

Although I'm not pursuing this further because I really don't know this from the drafting side, there is a list of some common Unicode codes, much more than in the PowerPoint I first found, in the last two pages of PMI Unicode String Specification Examples and Mapping Strategies for Dimensioning and Tolerancing, G... 

sreid111
Community Member

Hi, no that wasn't me.

Steve

Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36>