cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mchomut
Community Participant

Drawing a CIRCUIT

I need some way to incorporate many,many electronic circuits drawings that I have to draw and add into my lessons. Using Word with a mouse is nearly impossible. Need some form of a pen or stylus to draw with.  

EXAMPLE: Drawing made in PAINT 

255242_Circuit.jpg

12 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@mchomut ‌, is there a reason why can’t you create them in paint and then save them as something (png, jpeg, pdf) and then either upload it directly to Canvas as a file, put them in a word document with other information, or add them to a Page in Canvas?

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

As a side note, I teach Statistics and will hand write out notes and answer keys to things and then scan the document to pdf and upload it to Canvas for my students. This works pretty well and most printers anymore will do this or you can use a free app on your phone to take a picture and convert it to a pdf (I use CamScanner). 

MattHanes
Community Champion

I used to use a little circuit construction kit to do my drawings: ‪Circuit Construction Kit: Prototype‬  

They don't have capacitors but I just added another battery in the circuit and you can label it as a capacitor instead.

255246_pastedImage_2.png

James
Community Champion

@mchomut  

I use LaTeX with CircuitTikz. It's not the most friendly thing, but I'm already using LaTeX to generate the rest of the test and it makes it a vector graphic inside a PDF so I can scale without loss of quality. Below is a screenshot of the PDF (also note that I don't teach electronics, we just have some applications in differential equations, and the example was designed more for it's aesthetics than its functionality). There's no capacitor on this diagram as it was early in the book and we hadn't covered second order differential equations yet, but it does support them.

255336_pastedImage_1.png

We're not answering the question directly, I'm afraid. But I understand it -- I regularly go through phases where I wonder if a tablet would be easier for me to draw with. That picture took me hours to get right, which is why I'm not attempting to recreate yours like Matt did, but I don't do it regularly enough to be efficient at it so I wonder if there's a better way. Then I remember that I can't draw a straight line without a computer and go back to drawing with technology. The benefit of using technology to me is that the image is randomized so that each student gets different values.

But even if you don't draw in paint, I would recommend some kind of vector drawing tool or something that would allow you to snap to a grid or connect the points. Paint is extremely limited.

If you search for circuit drawing software (possibly adding the word free), you are presented with many options. If I was doing this a lot, I would look into a tool designed for that purpose rather than drawing them by hand. Those are going to be even better than using a tablet, probably even faster once you get the hang of it. They will definitely be cleaner and more legible than anything you can get from a mouse.

jason_edington
Community Participant

@mchomut ,

Depending on what kind of budget you have, you could look into getting a $70 Wacom tablet (Amazon Link). 

Wacom Tablet Wacom Tablet

You can use this on virtually any software you want, including Microsoft Paint. Also, you can get yourself a good usb headset with a Mic and use software like Camtasia, or even better because it's free CamStudio, to create Khan Academy style videos.   We use Kaltura in Canvas to stream our videos, but you could upload them to Youtube, Vimeo, or probably just use the built in video tool for Canvas if the video size isn't too large. 

dejonghed07
Community Champion

Hi  @mchomut ‌ -

You might want to check out Microsoft Visio's free trial: Create an electrical engineering diagram - Office Support 

Visio allows saving as an image or PDF and even as a web page. If you know how to use Office applications, then Visio is pretty user-friendly. What's great is that you can go back and edit/add to your Visio drawings in the future and it's helpful software for many other projects. 

If it works for you, look for education pricing!

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

So many great suggestions already,  @mchomut   (and a belated) Welcome to the Canvas Community! Since your prompt isn't likely to elicit a single uniquely correct response, I've flipped the format to a discussion.

mcowen
Instructure
Instructure

Hi  @mchomut ‌! If you haven't found a solution for circuit drawing yet, check out LucidChart. I use it for all kinds of other drawings. I know they have shapes for electrical circuits, too. 

Hope this helps!

Mike

jason_edington
Community Participant

I  can't believe I didn't catch this the first time I saw it, but I just noticed you drew a jeep with a moon roof. Now I understand what you meant by aesthetics over functionality! 🙂