Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bcroucher

Drop lowest grade?

Jump to solution

Is there an elegant way to drop students lowest score in a grading category? (For example, drop the lowest quiz grade?)

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I'm not sure if I consider it *elegant* or not (:smileygrin:), but yes, this functionality is built into Canvas as a possible rule for Assignment groups. For more information on how to do this see the following guide - How do I create rules for an assignment group?

View solution in original post

20 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I'm not sure if I consider it *elegant* or not (:smileygrin:), but yes, this functionality is built into Canvas as a possible rule for Assignment groups. For more information on how to do this see the following guide - How do I create rules for an assignment group?

hasti
Community Champion

But how do you make Canvas treat the lack of a score as 0? In other words, must I manually put in a score of 0 for students that don't take a quiz or do an assignment, or can I tell Canvas to treat those entries as 0 (so Canvas does not drop an assignment for which a student actually does get a score - which is what is appearing to do by default)?

hasti
Community Champion

If the answer is that I must manually enter 0s, is there a way for me to select just the students who have no score for an assignment from the Gradebook and have Canvas give everyone I selected a 0 or must I download the Gradebook into a spreadsheet, edit it with the spreadsheet, and upload it again? (For what it's worth, I have ~400 students and they get to drop one homework assignment, so each assignment seems to be having about 35 people not submit anything.)

James
Community Champion

@hasti ​,

In the gradebook, grade everyone who has turned in the assignment. Then click on the pull-down arrow at the top of the column. Choose "Set Default Grade"

208827_pastedImage_0.png

Enter a grade of 0. Do not overwrite already-entered grades. Click Set Default Grade.

208828_pastedImage_1.png

hasti
Community Champion

Thanks.

As far as I can tell, there is no way within Canvas to communicate to students what the class average (or score distribution) is for any item in Grades or Assignments. If this is the case, then setting grades to 0 is unproblematic. If not, then setting a bunch of grades to 0 artificially skews the average on a homework (when one will be dropped), and I'd want to alert students to this and/or disable this feature (if it exists).

James
Community Champion

Check out the View Scoring Details section of How do I view my grades in a current course?

Here's an example from a quiz of mine.

208841_pastedImage_1.png

You do need at least five students completing the assignment to report this information, but if you're teaching a class with 400, that shouldn't be a problem.

The mean of 9.6 does appear to include the 0's. The lowest grade for those who actually took it was 7 and only including those gives 10.05 as the mean. The 9.6 does not match what I show, though, so it must include concluded students --- if I go to the quiz moderation page, the current students have an average of 9.3 for that assignment.

There have been multiple requests about that score detail panel here in the community. You may wish to search for those and leave your comments there rather than here, as this was just a "question" as opposed to a "feature request". In other words, the comments won't reach as many people if they're left here. What you're after may also involve creating different ways of signifying zero in the gradebook (0 vs no submission 0), which has probably also been a feature request.

hasti
Community Champion

This reply epitomizes what frustrates me about Canvas and it's "help". The link you give is to a student document. Prior to posting I tried to figure out if students could be shown statistics for an assignment. I did a search - for "mean" "median" "display statistics to students" - I did a top level search, I looked in answers, I looked in ideas. I found no links on the first page of any search results that told me (the instructor) how I might be able to give this info to my students. I went to my Canvas courses and went into the Student View - no statistics available. I went back in as an instructor and checked Grades and individual Assignments to see if there was some checkbox I missed to display this info to the students. Nope.

Now I go back to the top level search on Canvas and search for "Score Details" - still no relevant links on the first page that tells me how I, the instructor, can let a student see this info.

Now, you tell me I'm asking this in the wrong place. I can't even find one item relevant to the topic on the first page of any search results!

@hasti , here's the link to the guide for instructors: How do I view assignment details in the Gradebook? I found it by searching on "grade statistics" (without the quotation marks) and using the filter to show only Documents (e.g. Guides). It was at the bottom of the first page of my search results. When I used "score details" in my search (again, without the quotation marks), this guide was the second result after I applied the filter.

hasti
Community Champion

I know how I can see statistics. My questions/concerns are regarding whether I have the ability to let students see statistics. James' answer above seems to indicate that there is some way that students can be shown statistics (or maybe it's just for some kinds of assignments?).