cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmurdock
Community Participant

Due Times Showing as Late

Jump to solution

I'm getting students turning in work at the exact time of the due time, but it is showing up as red for late. For example, the due time was 8:10 a.m. and a student submission shows 8:10 a.m., but it is red and says late. Is this a Canvas error or do I need to adjust my due times to say 8:11 a.m. which seems odd to me?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abunag
Community Champion

I've found that end dates and times are exclusive, not inclusive.  so if you want to have 8:10 be acceptable, you would need to set it to 8:11.  I see the reasoning, since it's not likely that someone turned it in exactly at 8:10, they likely turned it in at 8:10 and 30 seconds or something.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
abunag
Community Champion

I've found that end dates and times are exclusive, not inclusive.  so if you want to have 8:10 be acceptable, you would need to set it to 8:11.  I see the reasoning, since it's not likely that someone turned it in exactly at 8:10, they likely turned it in at 8:10 and 30 seconds or something.

View solution in original post

jmurdock
Community Participant

Got it, thank you!

Jennifer Murdock

English/French Teacher

Sullivan High School

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 1:56 PM, abunag@pacific.edu <instructure@jiveon.com>

u1013247
Community Member

Is there any way to set this as inclusive? Seems strange to have assignments submitted during the minute stated due as late. For example, due 11:59, students submit 11:59, marked late.. doesn't make sense to students, although I understand why it would be marking them this way.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

The only way to get this changed would be through a Canvas Feature Idea.

jmurdock
Community Participant

I completely agree! I hope someone will make this a feature idea.

Jennifer Murdock

English/French Teacher

Sullivan High School

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 1:07 PM, u1013247@utah.edu <instructure@jiveon.com>

bec_plumbe
Community Participant

Hi Jennifer,

If you'd like to support a closely-related features idea (2018), head over to https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/11513-display-how-late-an-assessment-is-or-add-seconds-to-late... .