cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fernann
Community Member

Duplicate Grade Lists?

Jump to solution

How do I get my grade book to only display one grid instead two?  The second grid (the shaded one) is confusing both students and instructors.  

Grade Grid

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @fernann  Welcome to the worldwide Canvas Community, where Canvas uses can exchange ideas and ask questions about Canvas. That area in gray cannot be disabled, and is in fact based on your assignment groups, as described in the Student Guide here under the heading called View Assignment Groups.  From your view as the instructor, it is taking whatever Assignment Groups you have added on your Assignments page and displays it there on the student's view of Grades.  Canvas is basically saying that if it's important enough for you to have grouped assignments that way, then it's important enough for students to see how they are doing within each distinct group.  I might add that this holds true whether or not you have chosen to weight your assignment groups.

By default, Canvas is always going to have at least  one assignment group on your Assignments page called...Assignments.  To directly answer your question, the only way to pare down--not remove--that shaded area is to pare down your Assignment Groups, perhaps back down to the one, default group that Canvas gives you.  But apart from that, there is no way to disable that from appearing for students.

I hope this helps a bit in explaining that, Nacho!  

View solution in original post

1 Reply
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @fernann  Welcome to the worldwide Canvas Community, where Canvas uses can exchange ideas and ask questions about Canvas. That area in gray cannot be disabled, and is in fact based on your assignment groups, as described in the Student Guide here under the heading called View Assignment Groups.  From your view as the instructor, it is taking whatever Assignment Groups you have added on your Assignments page and displays it there on the student's view of Grades.  Canvas is basically saying that if it's important enough for you to have grouped assignments that way, then it's important enough for students to see how they are doing within each distinct group.  I might add that this holds true whether or not you have chosen to weight your assignment groups.

By default, Canvas is always going to have at least  one assignment group on your Assignments page called...Assignments.  To directly answer your question, the only way to pare down--not remove--that shaded area is to pare down your Assignment Groups, perhaps back down to the one, default group that Canvas gives you.  But apart from that, there is no way to disable that from appearing for students.

I hope this helps a bit in explaining that, Nacho!  

View solution in original post