Duplicating Module

Jump to solution
FOREMANSHANNON
Community Explorer

Hello, 

I'm an instructor, and I was successfully duplicating modules in my course, when all of the sudden the option disappeared. I was literally able to duplicate, and then 5 seconds later that option disappeared from the edit menu. Any suggestions? There are no quizzes or legacy / external tools in what I was seeking to duplicate. 

0 Likes
2 Solutions
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi @FOREMANSHANNON 

This is not a feature I use often, so I went into one of my sandboxes to test, and found that my sandbox has two modules, one included "Duplicate" as an option, and one didn't - no structural differences in the modules.

Tested in several live courses, some modules could be duplicated, some could not.

I then reviewed the guide lesson, How to Duplicate a Module, for this function and found two notes:

• The following limitations apply when duplicating a module:

• Quizzes—Only New Quizzes quizzes are supported for copying within modules. If a module contains a quiz created by the classic Canvas quiz tool, the option to copy a module does not display in the module menu. Modules can be copied by removing the classic quiz from the module. Classic quizzes are indicated by the quiz icon; New Quizzes quizzes are indicated by the assignment icon.
    • External Tool (LTI) Assignments—A module cannot be copied if it contains an external tool (LTI) assignment. If a module contains an external tool assignment, the option to copy a module does not display in the module menu. Modules can be copied by removing the external tool assignment from the module. The only exception to LTI tools is New Quizzes.
  • Note: If a module cannot be duplicated, the Duplicate link will not appear in the Options menu

I strongly suspect that one of the verboten items is in your modules that will not duplicate - mine had classic quizzes in them. However, if review verifies that none of those items are included, then I would submit a support ticket.

Good luck,

Kelley

View solution in original post

FOREMANSHANNON
Community Explorer
Author

Hi,

Thanks for all this info. What ended up fixing it is logging out of Canvas and logging back in. 😥

View solution in original post

0 Likes