cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shouser
Community Participant

Duplicating Questions in Quiz

I teach anatomy and biology.  I'd like to  create quizzes where I want to use the same image/diagram but ask different questions about the same image.  On My Big Campus, I use to just duplicate/copy a single question and then make edit the question/prompt.  Is there such a feature in Canvas.  I haven't been able to find that.

14 Replies
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@shouser ​,

Currently, there is not a copy question feature in Canvas, but one of the number 1 requested features is the ability to duplicate anything in Canvas:

I would add your need to this request.

Robbie

Steve_Watts
Community Champion

Hi  @shouser 

All quiz questions that you create are stored in what Canvas calls "question banks" within your course. This means questions can be re-used by pulling them in from a bank into any quiz you are working on.

When you create a question within a quiz it is automatically stored in the default bank for the course; you can also create questions directly in the bank.

Here is a possible solution for what you are trying to achieve: Create a new question bank, then go into that bank and create the basic question.

Now create your quiz. If you use the "Find questions" option, you can find the question from your bank and import it into the quiz several times. Then you can edit each of them as required.

There is some information on creating a question bank here: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2947

and on adding questions to a quiz here: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2902

shouser
Community Participant

That's my next step thanks. When naming/creating question banks would it

be best to do this by standard?

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@shouser ​, I have another suggestion, but need to caution right at the outset that it has very limited applicability. Specifically, if you use this approach, you will not be able to deliver questions one at a time, nor will you be able to randomize your questions through the use of question groups or draw questions from a question bank--and ideally, you would create your series of questions in the quiz itself rather than in a question bank.

Now that you know the considerable restrictions on this approach, you could create a "Text (no question)" entry in your quiz that reads something on the order of "To answer the next (X) questions, refer to the diagram below." This question type gives you access to the full Rich Content Editor, and allows you to embed the image along with the text. After saving that, you could create X number of questions that refer to the image. This will eliminate the need to repeat the image in every question. As long as students are seeing all of the questions at the same time, they will still be able to look at the image and the question(s) at the same time.

This method can be used to refer students to a specific image in order to complete questions, or perhaps to a passage that they need to read before answering a series of questions. As I said, though, its use in practice is limited indeed.

@shouser ​, creating and naming question banks by standard would be a fine approach, especially if you plan to align outcomes with specific question banks. That will allow you to use quiz to measure outcomes mastery, since at the moment outcomes can only be aligned to question banks and not to specific questions.

A request for the ability to align outcomes to specific quiz questions is under discussion here:

Beth_Young
Community Contributor

I've used the technique Stephanie describes (put the image/text in a "text box" and follow it with questions that refer back to the box) and a version of what Steve describes (copy the question out of your question bank).

The "put it in a text box" strategy works well if you are going to use all the questions as a set every time you use them. You can save them all to the same question bank and give the question bank a name that reminds you of what they refer to. The text box itself will NOT save to the question bank. So if you don't give your question bank a good label, it would be easy to pull them into a different quiz without the image/text and that could be a problem for you. For example, I might label a set of questions with the name of the text that the questions are about, such as "Middle English Piers Plowman Prologue from UMich."

The "copy it from the question bank" strategy also works well, especially when I'm going to randomly choose a subset of those questions for the quiz, but Steve's method doesn't keep the question banks as organized as I like. To keep my question banks organized, I try to create questions inside the question banks and put them in quizzes later. I have created a special question bank called "AAA Clone" (the "AAA" part is to keep it at the top of the list). I use the following process:

1. create the question bank I want to keep (e.g., "Morphemes free vs bound")

2. create my first question in that bank

3. copy the question to the AAA Clone bank

4. edit the question in the AAA Clone bank (give it a new name!)

5. copy the edited question back to the original bank

6. repeat #4-5 until I have all the copies I need.

I agree with Stefanie's suggestion!  Since our Technical College moved to Canvas over a year ago, I miss not having a way to display only a set number of questions that are based on an image or diagram above the questions.  As shown in my image here, in our previous LMS, we could create "pages" of questions, and each "page" allowed for a title and additional information (both highlighted) for the student to read or look at prior to answer those questions.  So, I could literally create a set of True/False questions on one page, a set of Multiple Choice questions on another page, and then an Essay on Page 3 where students might have to answer a question about an image.  I built quizzes/tests/exams for our faculty many times using this kind of process, and it seemed to work really well.

eCollegeExam.jpg

Beth_Young
Community Contributor

There's also this feature idea, currently open for voting:

alexey1
Community Member

I see that it's been over 2 years, and the question is still not resolved. It seems to be a very basic function nowadays. It's simply tedious to create 10 similar questions, instead of 10 clicks I have to make 30. As an educator, I create lots of content every day. What is the issue with somebody in the development team to add this function?