cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lawrence_578
Community Member

Duplicating quizzes

Jump to solution

Sorry folks -- I know that this topic was raised in 2015 because I found an "archived" question about adding this for development.

I have just finished rewriting the same exam 5 times (short answer and essay questions) because I have a class that has four students with different accommodations for their learning disabilities. Since these required different settings for the quiz, I could not just open it for individual students at different times. Is there any way around this busywork? Does anyone know if Canvas is working on making it possible to save duplicates of a quiz with a different name so that settings can be changed? #copy quiz

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tbunag
Community Champion

@lawrence_578 ‌

Although there's no simple, one-step way to do it, there is a simpler method than re-creating the entire quiz 5 times.  Here's how to do it:

1. Create your quiz once
  2. Export the quiz
  3. Import the quiz (don't select the check box to replace identical IDs)
  4. Repeat as many times as you want quizzes
  5. Edit accordingly

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@lawrence_578 ,

Yes, this is definitely something that was put in the radar for the new quiz tool.  There are no guarantees that it will be added, but it was strongly encouraged by the user community. You can read more about it at:

https://community.canvaslms.com/community/ideas/quizzesnext 

Robbie

tbunag
Community Champion

@lawrence_578 ‌

Although there's no simple, one-step way to do it, there is a simpler method than re-creating the entire quiz 5 times.  Here's how to do it:

1. Create your quiz once
  2. Export the quiz
  3. Import the quiz (don't select the check box to replace identical IDs)
  4. Repeat as many times as you want quizzes
  5. Edit accordingly

View solution in original post

ssimpso4
Community Contributor

Anyone interested in this need (and boy, is it ever a need), should take a look at this thread https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/6078-fast-easy-way-to-copy-content-on-the-fly" modifiedtitle=".... There's a useful update, dated April 13, 2017. 

Tara - Thanks so much for your advice! I haven't got the hang of the export/input process, so this never occurred to me.

jbraverm
Community Participant

I never saw the option about quiz numbers when trying this, so I got the same quiz numbers in the imported quizzes.

srandall3
Community Member

I guess I'm not doing the export/import correctly, because it's as if it remembered which quiz I originally exported and then over-wrote it on the import.

This is the most mind-bogglingly tediously fragile process I have ever seen in years of computer tech experience.

What is wrong with having a "duplicate quiz" button like they have for pages and other structures in canvas? Yes, I understand that "pages" are simple structures and "quizzes" are complicated. But they're not THAT complicated.

This is literally death by a thousand mouse-clicks.

What would REALLY be nice is to have a tool to build all these structures outside of Canvas in some cool automated way, something that fills in the chapter names and times and points values, etc. etc. like in Excel or something, and then exports it all into Canvas in one swoop ... no mouse-clock death required.

jthorngren1
Community Member

My quizzes export at zip files.  There is now way to import them under a new name, as far as I can see.  Suggestions.

Same for me.  I agree 100%.