cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ghalsell
Community Participant

Easier access to "More Options" window

When I set up a new assignment or click Edit to change something in an existing assignment, I am presented with a window that offers a limited number of items: Name, Date, and Points. To access more parameters, I have to click on the More Options button. I nearly always need to access the parameters in the More Options screen, and it would be very convenient if the I could go directly to that screen instead of having to go through the limited editing window first. Is there a way to bypass the initial editing window and go directly to the More Options screen? If not, would Instructure consider adding such an option? For me this would save a lot of time.

3 Replies
tknapp
Community Contributor

Hi  @ghalsell 

When creating a new assignment, you should have the option, on the assignments page, to select + Assignment in the upper right corner. This will take you directly into the Assignment Details page that you normally access by selecting the More Options button. More information on this can be found here: How do I add details to an Assignment? As for editing an assignment, I don't know of a way of getting directly into the Assignment Details page.

Hopefully I understood your questions correctly and this information helps!

Tim

ghalsell
Community Participant

You did indeed understand what I was asking, and I appreciate your reply. Interestingly, if I click on the blue +Assignment button at the top of the Assignments page, Canvas does open the complete editing window. However, if I click on the plus sign at the top of the particular assignment group I want the assignment to go in, I'm presented with the small editing window. Either way, I have an additional click, either to select the desired assignment group I want the new assignment in (if I click the blue button), or to get More Options (if I click the plus sign in the desired group).

Ideally, I'd love to be able to edit my assignments globally (this was a votable idea a while back, but was archived for lack of votes). As a relative newbie, when setting up my courses, I selected an existing grading scheme that, while displaying students' grades correctly, produced misleading results in Canvas' grade calculations. I want to go through and change the grade scheme to one that works better (the custom one I've created won't affect the posted grades for existing assignments), but as things currently stand, I will have to open each assignment one at a time, including clicking on More Options, to make the change. And even if I left everything as is for this semester, when I copy these assignments over to a new semester, I will still want to make the change to each of them. For what it's worth, I was planning on exporting this semester's grades to Excel for final calculation anyway, but if I can get things set up where Canvas can calculate grades the way I want it to, my students will always be able to see how they are doing, and I will save time at the end of each semester. Given the number of assignments I will need to open in order to change the grading scheme, even eliminating one click per assignment will be a help.

George

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@ghalsell ​,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.

Robbie