cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmurdock
Community Participant

Edit a Question in the Question Bank

Jump to solution

I need to edit a question within the question bank, so that my original quiz will be the correct version. I've been searching for a bit and haven't figured it out. How do I accomplish this? Thanks for the help!

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
clong
Community Champion

Hi  @jmurdock ​,

When you make the edit to fix the spelling error be sure to go to quizzes and then click on the settings cog to manage your question banks.

209372_pastedImage_0.png

Once you make a change there, it will be corrected if you decide to bring in the question on a new quiz from this question bank.

As noted, you will also need to fix the original question in your existing quiz if you want it to change there as well.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @jmurdock ​...

If I am understanding your question correctly, you would like to edit questions in a question bank and then have those updated questions be automatically updated in your quiz, correct?  According to this Canvas Guide, How do I create a quiz by finding questions in a question bank?:

Note: When you Find Questions in a question bank, changes made to questions in the question bank will not update in the quiz. Changes will update in the quiz only if the questions are linked to a question bank.

I'm hopefully that helps answer your question, but if I have totally missed the boat, please come back to provide further details for members of the Community so that we can continue to help you.

Thanks Jennifer.

jmurdock
Community Participant

Yes, I believe so. I had a word misspelled, and then I fixed it on that

particular quiz. Later though I added that quiz into another one from the

bank, and I noticed that the word was still incorrect. I'm guessing that I

need to somehow edit it in the original...???

Jennifer Murdock

English/French Teacher

Sullivan High School

On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 6:42 PM, chofer@morainepark.edu <

clong
Community Champion

Hi  @jmurdock ​,

When you make the edit to fix the spelling error be sure to go to quizzes and then click on the settings cog to manage your question banks.

209372_pastedImage_0.png

Once you make a change there, it will be corrected if you decide to bring in the question on a new quiz from this question bank.

As noted, you will also need to fix the original question in your existing quiz if you want it to change there as well.

View solution in original post

jmurdock
Community Participant

Perfect, that is what I needed. Thank you!!!

Sent from my iPhone

jmurdock
Community Participant

Chris,

Ok, I'm trying to follow your directions. I'm attaching a picture where I

have clicked on Quizzes, and then the "cog" which I"m thinking is the gear.

I don't see anything about "manage question banks."

I do see the "Edit" beside the gear...is that what you mean? I thought I

had edited it before by clicking Edit at this point, but that didn't fix

the one located in the question bank.

Sorry! I hope you will continue to try and help me. Thanks, Jennifer

Jennifer Murdock

English/French Teacher

Sullivan High School

On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 4:31 PM, clong@hbuhsd.edu <instructure@jiveon.com>

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

The problem is that you are in an actual quiz. You need to click on the Quiz link on the left in your course (so you're on the page with the list of all quizzes in your course) and then click on the gear/cog icon in the upper right. Don't click on a quiz first.

jmurdock
Community Participant

Thank you!!! I knew that I had seen it before, but was just going one step

too far.

Jennifer Murdock

English/French Teacher

Sullivan High School

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 8:35 AM, kona@richland.edu <instructure@jiveon.com>

steve_graves
Community Member

So there's not a dynamic link between the quiz and the question bank?  That seems like a substantial pain in the butt and a serious programming flaw.   I have to update questions in both the question bank AND the quiz each time I want to update or edit a quiz?  It seems to defeat the purpose of a question bank, especially for questions that only get used in one quiz.

The only dynamic link is if you have the question bank linked to the question group. If you have them added then there isn't a dynamic link.