cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cmeagher
Community Member

Edit user settings so can only see their own section? How to set?

Jump to solution

Apparently to stay out of FERPA jail with merged courses, we have to follow this step:

"There is a default setting for each student (in People) “this user can view students in any course section.” This needs to be changed to “this user can only view students in their assigned course section(s)”. It has to be manually changed for each student before the semester begins, and afterwards for each student who adds."

However, where do we see the settings for each user? I can get to People and it only tells me grades and activity.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@cmeagher ​, when I navigate to the People tab for a course that has multiple sections, my screen looks like the one you'll see in this lesson: How do I add users to a course?  From that list, I can click on any student in the list, and the screen looks like the screenshot here: How do I limit a user to only view other users in the same course section? For example, I just navigated to a student, and under Membership(s), I can see the message "this user can view students in any course section" and I have the option there to "limit this user to only see fellow section users."

So if you're not seeing those options, I suspect your permissions are not set up to allow you access to this, and I suggest you contact your Canvas admin and ask them to check to make sure you have the necessary permissions attached to your role (I'm assuming you're in the Teacher role in the course) to reach these screens.

Also, since you mentioned "FERPA jail," I thought you might be interested in the ongoing discussion at New FERPA requirements for cross-listed courses!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@cmeagher ​, when I navigate to the People tab for a course that has multiple sections, my screen looks like the one you'll see in this lesson: How do I add users to a course?  From that list, I can click on any student in the list, and the screen looks like the screenshot here: How do I limit a user to only view other users in the same course section? For example, I just navigated to a student, and under Membership(s), I can see the message "this user can view students in any course section" and I have the option there to "limit this user to only see fellow section users."

So if you're not seeing those options, I suspect your permissions are not set up to allow you access to this, and I suggest you contact your Canvas admin and ask them to check to make sure you have the necessary permissions attached to your role (I'm assuming you're in the Teacher role in the course) to reach these screens.

Also, since you mentioned "FERPA jail," I thought you might be interested in the ongoing discussion at New FERPA requirements for cross-listed courses!

View solution in original post

suresh_n
Community Participant

Hi Stefanie,

i am using SIS import to create users and Enrollments, i have a situation default selection

"this user can view students in any course section"

i don't want select the option to for every student manually , is there any way i can assign privilege for every enrollment "limit this user to only see fellow section users" automatically or through SIS import

Appreciate for your help

Thanks & Regards

Suresh Nimmakayala

@suresh_n ‌, there's no automatic option currently. You'll see that the request https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/5584-course-level-setting-restrict-users-to-their-own-sections is currently open for voting and in Product Radar status; you might find some suggestions in the commentary surrounding that idea. Since I don't know if this can be accomplished via SIS import, I'm going to tag the Canvas Admins‌ to see how they're handling this.

makraft
Community Contributor

We have a course with two sections. All the students have the section limitation enabled.

The instructor created a differentiated discussion assignment, assigning different due dates to each section. Her expectation was that responders would see only the comments from their section mates, but it turns out that is not the case.  They can see the discussion posts from students in the other section.

I reached out to Canvas Support on this issue and they advised that the instructor should have set the assignment up using groups to avoid this issue, setting the groups up so they can only interact with their section mates. 

The problem here seems to be that the student section limitation is misleading. The instructor believes that Canvas will act like it is described in the student setting, when in fact, it does not. 

Thoughts?

Thank you!