cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
a1222679
Community Contributor

Edited Courses

Jump to solution

I'm new to working with this data and wondered where I might find information about which courses have been edited and when.  I'm looking at edits to things like Quizzes, Discussions, Wikis and Assignments.

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a1222679
Community Contributor

Thank you for your reply Garth.  In the end I managed to extract the information that I needed from the Canvas data files. Specifically, I used Wiki Dim, Quiz Dim, File Dim, Assignment Dim, Discussion Topic Dim and Fact all of which I linked to the Course Dim in Power BI.  It gives me the dates/times of any updates made in those particular parts of a course all at the click of a button.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Are you a teacher interested in data from your own course or are you a programmer/Canvas Admin interested in Canvas Data (all data from your entire instance of Canvas)? If it's the second then I'd recommend checking out and joining the Big Data, Canvas Data, and Canvas Developers​ groups in the Community. They are the ones who would be working with the Canvas Data stuff.

a1222679
Community Contributor

It is the second, thank you for the advice

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Very good. I'll alsI share this with those groups!

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@a1222679 , I apologize that your question has been sitting out here for so long without a response--but it appears you have the Community stumped! Were you able to devise a solution independently, and if you were, would you take a moment to let us know how you accomplished this? In the meantime, I'm going to attempt to enhance the visibility of your question by adding a few tags and re-mentioning the Big Data, Canvas Data, and Canvas Developers to attract some fresh eyes to your question.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @a1222679 ​...

I wanted to check in with you because it's been more than a month since any new activity has been posted to this particular discussion topic.  As stefaniesanders​ stated, if you provide an update for members of the Canvas Community, that would be helpful.  Looking forward to hearing from you, Daniel!

garth
Community Champion

@a1222679 ​ you can get a lot of info from the API.

Take a look at this API, which returns an Assignment object

Results include date created and date last modified

A quiz is a type of assignment, and will be listed in the results of this call, as well as discussions.

Wiki pages are different, take a look at the Pages API

There is a call to get a list of page:

And a call to get a list of revisions to a specific page:

I hope this helps.

a1222679
Community Contributor

Thank you for your reply Garth.  In the end I managed to extract the information that I needed from the Canvas data files. Specifically, I used Wiki Dim, Quiz Dim, File Dim, Assignment Dim, Discussion Topic Dim and Fact all of which I linked to the Course Dim in Power BI.  It gives me the dates/times of any updates made in those particular parts of a course all at the click of a button.

garth
Community Champion

Nice!  Thanks for posting your solution.