Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
d_anderson2
Community Member

Editing Distractors in Matching Question for Quiz

Jump to solution

Hello,

I just created a survey quiz in Canvas.  Since it is a survey, there are no "right" answers so I put them in a list under the distractor category.  I updated the question and saved the quiz.  When I preview the quiz, my distractor items are there and the quiz can be completed the way I want it to.  The problem is that I now need to edit the distractor list, but when I edit the question, there is no list at all.  Can anyone help me get back to my original list of distractor answers or tell me a better way to do this?

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
brueckert
Community Champion

Hi  @d_anderson2 ,

I was able to duplicate the exact same problem. It doesn't appear that you can edit the previous list of distractors directly, however if you update the question with new distractors, they overwrite the previous set. If you don't have a ton of items to type into the box it would be easy to re-enter them. If it's a substantial list, you'll want to have them typed up and saved elsewhere so you can do a copy paste job if further edits are needed.

I'm sure you could also access and edit distractors using calls to the Canvas API, but that would require coding skills beyond my rudimentary programming knowledge; can't help you there 🙂

View solution in original post

2 Replies
brueckert
Community Champion

Hi  @d_anderson2 ,

I was able to duplicate the exact same problem. It doesn't appear that you can edit the previous list of distractors directly, however if you update the question with new distractors, they overwrite the previous set. If you don't have a ton of items to type into the box it would be easy to re-enter them. If it's a substantial list, you'll want to have them typed up and saved elsewhere so you can do a copy paste job if further edits are needed.

I'm sure you could also access and edit distractors using calls to the Canvas API, but that would require coding skills beyond my rudimentary programming knowledge; can't help you there 🙂

Thanks for posting a reply.  I had tried your option and wasn't able to overwrite them.  They showed up as the original even after the edit.  I'll play with it a little more to see if I can figure out why.  I ended up having to delete the question and retype a new question with the corrected distractors.  Not the most convenient, but it got me through regardless.