cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
darwinjhargrave
Community Member

Editing "Course Summary"

Jump to solution

I imported a previous course and changed the dates in the syllabus. However, the course summary is showing the previous course dates and I don't know how to change them. Any ideas??

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Chris,

I figured it out. When I imported content from the last course the calendar assignments migrated. I went back a year on the calendar and deleted all of the calendar entries. Now the course summary only shows this semesters entries. Thank you and everyone for your great input and problem solving.

Darwin Hargrave, MA

Adjunct Professor

Rehabilitation Counseling and Sciences

University of Northern Colorado

darwin.hargrave@unco.edu

View solution in original post

5 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @darwinjhargrave  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thank you for posting your question.  The items you see listed on your "Syllabus" page under the heading of "Course Summary" are all the graded assignments that you have in the course.  So, you'd need to go to each assignment (via your "Assignments" page) and then edit the assignment details for each to change the due dates.  However, it's possible that you have many graded assignments with due dates, and it would take a while for you to go through each assignment one-by-one.  This is where a "Canvancement" (Canvas Enhancement) developed by Community resident  @James ‌ may help you.  Using a Google Spreadsheet, he developed a way to be able to change all your dates at once.  Check out this write-up from James: Adjust All Assignment Dates on One Page.  That "Canvancement" isn't a part of the core Canvas product, but James is super helpful, and if you have any questions for him about it, you can post those questions at the bottom of the link I gave you.  I hope this will help you, Darwin!

Hi Chris,

The problem I am having is that when I imported the content from a previous class the course summary came with the syllabus. Now I have old dates and assignments on the "Course Summary" plus the new dates I need. The previous dates are gray. Does this indicate that when I publish the course tomorrow they will not show? Right now when I go to student view they do show.

Thanks,

Darwin

Darwin Hargrave, MA

Adjunct Professor

darwin.hargrave@unco.edu

@darwinjhargrave , could it be that these grayed out entries are things you manually added to the calendar? You can check this by clicking on one of them and seeing what comes up. If these old things from the calendar then you would need to go into the Calendar to delete them. 

Kona

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

One other thing to consider,  @darwinjhargrave  , is that you might actually have duplicate assignments. If so, you will need to unpublish or delete any dupes before students try to submit to them.  You can identify dupes from the Assignments Index page.

I suspect, however, that Kona is correct. Many teachers will add calendar events that remind students of coming assignments, and phases of an assignment. Most commonly this is with discussion that might use two due dates - one date for the original reply, and another one for the classmate replies.  If you click on the links in the course Summary, Canvas will take you to that entry - either an actual assignment or a calendar event to help you troubleshoot.

Kelley

Hi Chris,

I figured it out. When I imported content from the last course the calendar assignments migrated. I went back a year on the calendar and deleted all of the calendar entries. Now the course summary only shows this semesters entries. Thank you and everyone for your great input and problem solving.

Darwin Hargrave, MA

Adjunct Professor

darwin.hargrave@unco.edu

View solution in original post