cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aa96a3f048cdb77
Community Participant

Editing rubrics for imported outcomes

Jump to solution

I was super excited to discover that my school district has imported all of our state standards into Canvas. I've pulled all of my standards into the Outcomes section of my course. But the standards are not very student friendly. I would like to be able to adjust the rubric to add descriptions for what "exceeds expectations" and "meets expectations" and so on would be. Is this possible? I can't figure it out so far. I guess I would need to either be able to copy the state standards or actually edit the instance that's in my course - preferably on the rubric itself, and not on the outcome, because a standard like "I can apply the Elements of Art & Principles of Design to make art." is going to look different in different projects.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

aa96a3f048cdb775279b489381f0bb91112d81d9bbe8978a9397b4e3a266bd0e, according to how the outcomes were created and editing permissions set at the account level, there's a strong possibility you cannot edit the outcome descriptions. This is from the Canvas Guide How do I edit or delete an Outcome or Outcome group in my course?

Unless you have permission, you cannot modify an outcome or outcome group that was added at the account level.

The reason for this is that editing the aligned outcome at the course level would distort the measurement and reporting of mastery at the account level.

I handle this by creating my own criterion rows that directly relate to the assignment at hand--these are the ones I use to assess and grade the submission--and then aligning outcomes that don't contribute to the assignment grade. When you import the outcome into your rubric, you have the option to de-select the checkbox that reads, "Use this criterion for scoring." If you do that, you can still select the mastery boxes on the outcome without affecting a student's grade for a particular assignment.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

aa96a3f048cdb775279b489381f0bb91112d81d9bbe8978a9397b4e3a266bd0e, according to how the outcomes were created and editing permissions set at the account level, there's a strong possibility you cannot edit the outcome descriptions. This is from the Canvas Guide How do I edit or delete an Outcome or Outcome group in my course?

Unless you have permission, you cannot modify an outcome or outcome group that was added at the account level.

The reason for this is that editing the aligned outcome at the course level would distort the measurement and reporting of mastery at the account level.

I handle this by creating my own criterion rows that directly relate to the assignment at hand--these are the ones I use to assess and grade the submission--and then aligning outcomes that don't contribute to the assignment grade. When you import the outcome into your rubric, you have the option to de-select the checkbox that reads, "Use this criterion for scoring." If you do that, you can still select the mastery boxes on the outcome without affecting a student's grade for a particular assignment.

View solution in original post

That's a helpful suggestion. That way, the outcomes will still be tracked by the system but won't skew the grades? I'll look into it. Thanks!

Exactly--and I'm glad this suggested approach might work for you!