cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ysteinbrecher

Email a parent

Jump to solution

Hi! 

How do you send an email to a student's parent?  It looks like I can only find my students in the course.

Thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi  @ysteinbrecher 

From the Conversations Inbox, you can compose a new message and click compose, a new message appears. 

In the To Field, you should be able to see the different types of users in your course. (I attached a screenshot from my Graphic Design I course as an example.) When I click on Observers, then all of the parents that have linked their accounts to their student's will appear. You'll need to know the student's observer's name before going into the list, however, as there is not a label to double-check the relationship from this menu. A great place to do this is in People page.

288939_pastedImage_1.png

View solution in original post

5 Replies
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi  @ysteinbrecher 

From the Conversations Inbox, you can compose a new message and click compose, a new message appears. 

In the To Field, you should be able to see the different types of users in your course. (I attached a screenshot from my Graphic Design I course as an example.) When I click on Observers, then all of the parents that have linked their accounts to their student's will appear. You'll need to know the student's observer's name before going into the list, however, as there is not a label to double-check the relationship from this menu. A great place to do this is in People page.

288939_pastedImage_1.png

meganejp

I am having issues with parents enrolled as observers but then not coming up in the inbox under observers when I select the exact same course (or anywhere at all for that matter). When I tried to cut and copy their email from my course enrollment, it still wouldn't let me send them a message. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @meganejp - Are you able to find them if you type in their first name and last name rather than their email address? From the inbox, also try selecting your recipients manually through the dropdowns. Observer -- Name.

meganejp

I have tried both methods. Typing their first and last name (nothing comes up) and also looking through the dropdown under observers. He is listed in my course enrollments as an observer and next to his name is his email so I also tried using that directly and it didn't work. I don't know if it has to do with how he was enrolled as an observer (is there a difference between pairing code and manually enrolled??)

meganejp

Figured it out. The parent just enrolled with their first name and I was looking for them with first and last. Guess I had to just send an email to "john"