cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mark_j_roberts-
Community Member

How do I send an email to my entire class at once?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @mark_j_roberts-  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thanks for posting your message.  Please check out this Guide...as I think it will help to answer your question: How do I send a message to all course users in Conversations as an instructor? 

Also, I wanted to briefly discuss the term "e-mail" with you as it relates to Canvas.  Canvas does not have e-mail.  It is called "messaging" or "conversations" which you can find by going to your "Inbox".  You can send messages to your students that are enrolled in your courses, but you cannot send messages to other students you may know who also attend your school via Canvas.  When you send a message to your students via the Canvas Inbox, the way that students receive that message will vary.  Every user (teachers, students, admins, etc.) can set up their Canvas notifications to receive notifications via school e-mail, personal e-mail, text message, Twitter, etc.  And, then once those communication methods are set up, then you choose the frequency of those notifications.  So, for example, it's entirely possible that if you were to send a message to all of your students via Canvas, some students may get a copy of that message to their school e-mail account.  But, some students may only get notified via a quick text message that you sent them a message.  So in that case, students would need to then log on to Canvas to read your message in their own Inbox.  Here are a few links to Guides that should help (there are similar Guides for students, too):

How do I add contact methods to receive Canvas notifications as an instructor? 

How do I add an additional email address as a contact method in Canvas as an instructor? 

How do I add a text (SMS) contact method in Canvas as an instructor? 

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13111-4152719738 

If you wanted to ensure that your students are receiving an e-mail message from you, I would recommend that you obtain a listing of your students' e-mail address, and then composing an e-mail through your school's e-mail client...such as Microsoft Outlook.  That way, students are getting an e-mail to their own Inbox.

I hope this information has been helpful to you, Mark.  Please let me know if you have any additional questions about this.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @mark_j_roberts-  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thanks for posting your message.  Please check out this Guide...as I think it will help to answer your question: How do I send a message to all course users in Conversations as an instructor? 

Also, I wanted to briefly discuss the term "e-mail" with you as it relates to Canvas.  Canvas does not have e-mail.  It is called "messaging" or "conversations" which you can find by going to your "Inbox".  You can send messages to your students that are enrolled in your courses, but you cannot send messages to other students you may know who also attend your school via Canvas.  When you send a message to your students via the Canvas Inbox, the way that students receive that message will vary.  Every user (teachers, students, admins, etc.) can set up their Canvas notifications to receive notifications via school e-mail, personal e-mail, text message, Twitter, etc.  And, then once those communication methods are set up, then you choose the frequency of those notifications.  So, for example, it's entirely possible that if you were to send a message to all of your students via Canvas, some students may get a copy of that message to their school e-mail account.  But, some students may only get notified via a quick text message that you sent them a message.  So in that case, students would need to then log on to Canvas to read your message in their own Inbox.  Here are a few links to Guides that should help (there are similar Guides for students, too):

How do I add contact methods to receive Canvas notifications as an instructor? 

How do I add an additional email address as a contact method in Canvas as an instructor? 

How do I add a text (SMS) contact method in Canvas as an instructor? 

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13111-4152719738 

If you wanted to ensure that your students are receiving an e-mail message from you, I would recommend that you obtain a listing of your students' e-mail address, and then composing an e-mail through your school's e-mail client...such as Microsoft Outlook.  That way, students are getting an e-mail to their own Inbox.

I hope this information has been helpful to you, Mark.  Please let me know if you have any additional questions about this.

View solution in original post