Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joha
Community Member

Embed youtube with all player functionalities

Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm looking to embed a youtube video with the functionalities from youtube's player.

When I embed the video from youtube the resolution choice and cc disappears and if I link the video and canvas subsequently automatically embeds the video the functionalities are there but then I can't define the size of the video.

Is there a way to get the best of both worlds? Embedding that supports the player functionalities from youtube and where you can defince a custom size for the video?

best,

j

Tags (4)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dlyons
Instructure
Instructure

The Youtube LTI does some nice things like strip the ads attached to a video, and allow it to be resized with click and drag, but if you want/need full embed control the normal process for embedding a Youtube video using their iFrame code is still completely functional in Canvas.

You can read more about using and customizing a Youtube embed here: Embed videos and playlists - YouTube Help

Then see how to edit content in HTML instead of using the Rich Content Editor tools here: How do I edit content in the HTML view in the Rich Content Editor?

View solution in original post

5 Replies
dlyons
Instructure
Instructure

The Youtube LTI does some nice things like strip the ads attached to a video, and allow it to be resized with click and drag, but if you want/need full embed control the normal process for embedding a Youtube video using their iFrame code is still completely functional in Canvas.

You can read more about using and customizing a Youtube embed here: Embed videos and playlists - YouTube Help

Then see how to edit content in HTML instead of using the Rich Content Editor tools here: How do I edit content in the HTML view in the Rich Content Editor?

stevensons
Community Contributor

This seems to be true for the web version of Canvas, but I've noticed that if I use the iframe embed code for YouTube it does not seem to appear in the mobile version. Can anyone help advise me on this? Thank you!!

Edited to add: my issue is that I can't use the Add Public Resources LTI because my YouTube videos are not public.

It's possible your videos are set to Private.

Youtube has three privacy settings (afaik):

1. Public

2. Unlisted

3. Private

If your videos are public or unlisted the embeds will work as expected. If they are Private though you have to explicitly share them with individual users which is why you don't see them on mobile; your Canvas mobile app is not logged into your Youtube Account (as it should not be) so they don't show, but your web browser is logged in to your Youtube account so you see the embed.

You might want to triple check the privacy settings on your videos, and if you are still having trouble, contact Support as they'll be able to dive in and look at the exact video you're seeing the issue with.

Hope that helps!

DrNufer
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

For a couple of my courses I have students create and upload content and then share the YouTube link.  I encourage my students to use the unlisted setting for their videos.  If it is private then I cannot view the video (hence, I cannot grade the submission).  They are welcome to make their videos public, but as long as they share their unlisted URL then I can access it.  With an unlisted video, anyone with the URL can view it, but the video will not show up with any searches.

stevensons
Community Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, I did double-check and my videos are unlisted, not private, but they are still not appearing on my iPad or iPhone Canvas app.

I've come up with a last-minute workaround for students (unfortunately I only discovered this after my class already started...) which is to put in an HTML text link directly to the video for mobile users. That DOES show up, and at least students will know there's a video there that they're supposed to watch.

I will keep an eye on it and if the problem continues I'll contact support...