Embedded Studio videos don't display thumbnail on iOS

tomokiyo
Community Explorer

I am a Canvas administrator for a K-8 school.  Our institution purchased Studio thinking that it would be a good tool for teachers to leave video messages for students, especially younger ones.  We are finding that while Studio videos embedded onto course pages display very well on the browser (Mac/Chrome), they only display a yellow bar that says "Launch External Tool" on iOS (iPad Air). This is totally unhelpful for the younger students who are our main tablet user group.  A screenshot is at the bottom of this post.

The videos do play once you click on the yellow bar, but they open on another page.  Conversely, I can embed a YouTube video and see the thumbnail on the page, and the video plays without leaving the page. 

I did a support chat with Canvas and they confirmed that this is expected behavior.  But I feel that I must be missing something, because this just seems so user-unfriendly!  Am I just embedding the videos incorrectly?  Or has anyone found an embed wrapper that will let the videos play within the page?  Thanks for any advice!

IMG_0002.jpg

0 Likes