Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mlattke
Instructure
Instructure

Embedding Guides in Courses from New Community

Jump to solution

Will the new guide links have the ability to be embedded through https in Canvas courses to avoid mixed content errors?

I saw this guide:

How do I embed a lesson inside a Canvas course?

But it appears to reference the old community, so I wasn't sure if the same rules would apply.

We have a lot of stuff embedded without the surround like this:

<iframe style="overflow: hidden;" src="https://canvas.screenstepslive.com/s/2204/m/4214/l/41056-which-browsers-does-canvas-support-?e=4" width="575" height="3800"></iframe>

(embedded below is how it looks in Canvas).

Will we still be able to do that and what will the URL be?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hey Marc,

Just to clarify my previous comment...

Everything at Canvas is subject to change (as you probably know). Currently we have no plans to change the embedding side of the guides. However, in the long run it won't benefit us to support two separate sites. Currently the community does not support embedding, which is why the option still exists. But perhaps eventually Jive will allow us to embed documents, which will mean that we will discontinue the old site.

So having said all that, you are welcome to make whatever decisions will benefit your institution as you need them. But just be aware that someday this may all change, and we're trying to let you know that so we can still be friends. Smiley Happy If you have an option that uses the community site, we'd encourage you to use that. But if you don't and you need to embed guides content, be aware that you may have to redo your work someday (as well as for any existing content that holds links from the old site).

Thanks,

Erin

View solution in original post

28 Replies
CanvasDocTeam
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Michelle,

Currently the new site doesn't allow embedding. However, we are working to find a way to make that possible. We'll keep you updated when we have more information!

Thanks,

Erin

Hey Erin,

Thanks for your reply!  I've got my fingers crossed that there will be a way.  We have all of our student and teacher orientations built out this way and we've shared with other districts too.  It will be an epic bummer if we will not be able to embed the guides anymore and have to rewrite all of our orientations.  I see I can download a PDF and embed that, but of course, that won't update if any of the info changes in the guides, which was the beauty of embedding it.  We found students actually read the info when we embed it, versus a link, which they tended not to click on.

So in thinking about editing all of our orientations before the old guides go totally away in June and what you know about the chances that there will be an embedding solution for the new guides, what would your recommendation be:

1. wait and hope for the best that an embedding solution will come before the old guides go away.

2. delete all the embedding in our orientations and use links instead

Thanks!
Michelle

Hi Michelle,

Tomorrow the community team, our docs manager, and some other wonderful people are going to work on figuring out some of those details. So as of right now I can't answer that question for you but we'll certainly let you know the news when we have it.

Thanks!

Erin

Thanks, erinhallmark​!  I will hold my horses and cross my fingers.  😃  I appreciate your help!!

Hey Michelle,

I think we have a way that embedding will work. However it may take a few days to get set up. We're working on it though!

Erin

Yippee!!  That's terrific news, Erin!  Thanks so much for keeping me posted!!!

ccalderon
Community Champion

Is there anything new to report on this? We are itching to get started! :smileygrin:

Crista,

Still working on it. We'll let you know!

Thanks,

Erin

erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi everyone,

If you aren't following already, please check out Seth's reply on this thread for future planning.

Thanks,

Erin