Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mlattke
Instructure
Instructure

Embedding Guides in Courses from New Community

Jump to solution

Will the new guide links have the ability to be embedded through https in Canvas courses to avoid mixed content errors?

I saw this guide:

How do I embed a lesson inside a Canvas course?

But it appears to reference the old community, so I wasn't sure if the same rules would apply.

We have a lot of stuff embedded without the surround like this:

<iframe style="overflow: hidden;" src="https://canvas.screenstepslive.com/s/2204/m/4214/l/41056-which-browsers-does-canvas-support-?e=4" width="575" height="3800"></iframe>

(embedded below is how it looks in Canvas).

Will we still be able to do that and what will the URL be?

28 Replies

Hi  @kschneider25 ​,

Yes, both Canvas Guides sites will be updated indefinitely.

Alli

cwerner
Community Participant

Hi Michelle:

I didn't realize that you could embed the Canvas guides from the old site.  That knowledge would have saved me a ton of work when I was creating training materials for our faculty and students.  Would you share how you to do that?  We are creating an online student orientation and that might be very helpful! Smiley Wink

Thanks!

Catherine,

Embedding info is here: How do I embed a lesson inside a Canvas course?

Thanks,

Erin

cwerner
Community Participant

Thanks, Erin!  I did find this yesterday after I posted my questions.  Just didn't realize it was that easy! Smiley Happy

erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

As most of you know, previously the old guides space was going to go away on June 30. It's now July 6 and, surprise! It's still here. And will be indefinitely. We weren't able to find an embed solution that we loved, so we ultimately concluded to keep guides.instructure.com as the official home for link embedding. Therefore, if you want to embed Guides content, please use the guides posted at guides.instructure.com. The content is the same as you'll find in the new community, and updates are always made at the same time. The only difference is that users can no longer leave comments on guide articles in the old site.

You can learn how to embed content here: How do I embed a lesson inside a Canvas course?

Thanks!

Erin

MLentini
Community Participant

Hi Erin,

I'm curious to hear whether this has changed at all in the last few months. We're rebuilding our training, so it seems like a good time to ask how long "indefinitely" is, at least from where the Community team sits right now.

Thanks!

Marc

Hi Marc,

I can honestly say that at this time we don't have plans to change how things are currently set up. So embed away!

Thanks,

Erin

Hey Marc,

Just to clarify my previous comment...

Everything at Canvas is subject to change (as you probably know). Currently we have no plans to change the embedding side of the guides. However, in the long run it won't benefit us to support two separate sites. Currently the community does not support embedding, which is why the option still exists. But perhaps eventually Jive will allow us to embed documents, which will mean that we will discontinue the old site.

So having said all that, you are welcome to make whatever decisions will benefit your institution as you need them. But just be aware that someday this may all change, and we're trying to let you know that so we can still be friends. Smiley Happy If you have an option that uses the community site, we'd encourage you to use that. But if you don't and you need to embed guides content, be aware that you may have to redo your work someday (as well as for any existing content that holds links from the old site).

Thanks,

Erin

View solution in original post

MLentini
Community Participant

Thanks, Erin. I figured we'd have to change at some point. I was hoping to nail down "someday" enough to know whether it would be next year, or after a few years when either we have to re-write our training anyway, or I've retired to a beach front hut someplace warm. We'll go for the embed, and hope for the best.