cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
catherine_davie
Community Member

Embedding PowerPoint from O365

I've embedded a Powerpoint presentation on to an new Canvas Assignment.

I've embedded this through my Office 365 account, The embed code works and I can see the Powerpoint on my Canvas account/which is linked to my O365 account. However, my student can't see the PowerPoint and see the message "Sorry, you don't have access to this page!" 

I've got a link to the PowerPoint and have now put this on the same page, but would like the PowerPoint to be fully embedded for the students.

Any advice on how I can do this?

Thanks Catherine 

9 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Welcome to the Canvas Community,  @catherine_davie ‌!  You did not mention exactly how your embedding it or if your institution has enabled the full Office 365 LTI, but assuming you are simply copying/pasting the code into the Canvas rich content editor for students to view, this sounds like a sharing issue.  I just replicated this myself on my own Office365/One Drive account, and indeed my sample student got the same error message.

So, assuming this is the issue, back in OneDrive you want to be sure to share your presentation.  Click on the barely-visible round icon next to the file name in OneDrive so that it's checked, and click the Share button on the toolbar on top.  See the circled area in the screen capture below:

215009_onedrive sharing.jpg

In the ensuing dialog box, click the Get a link button and choose from the ensuing drop down menu.  Once you've done that, you should see a Shared message off the far right of the file name in OneDrive, as the arrow in the screen capture above shows.

Give that a try, assuming the above is the process that you are going through.  If not, let the Community know and perhaps some others with a bit more Office365 experience at their own institutions may be able to contribute more.

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

For anyone interested in this topic, be sure to RSVP to the next installment in the CanvasLIVE series on Office365: O365 LTI Series: Canvas + Microsoft in the Clouds,  which is coming up this Friday, February 10, 2017. RSVP “yes” if you will be there--and if you’re interested, but your schedule doesn’t allow you to attend in real time, RSVP "no" or "maybe" to receive all event updates. Your RSVP ensures that you will receive a notification should the event be cancelled or changed.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @catherine_davie ‌...

I wanted to check in with you because there hasn't been any new activity in this particular discussion topic since early February 2017.  Have you had a chance to review the feedback from  @kblack ‌?  If so, did the information he provided help to answer your question?  Or, are you still seeking help with this question?  If you could please come back to post an update for members of the Canvas Community, that would be great!  If you feel that Ken's answer is "Correct", please go ahead and mark it as such.  For now, because there's not been any new activity here for a while, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional replies below.  I hope this is okay with you.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon, Catherine!

rtincoff
Community Participant

I am having this same problem. Students can see the ppt file if I share it with them directly. Same student cannot access it embedded on Canvas.

greg_marten1
Community Member

Hello,

Our district is having the same issue as described by Catherine's original post. I'm not sure that kblack's response exactly addresses the issue because Catherine wants to embed the PowerPoint from her O365 account into a Canvas page/assignment rather than share a link to the file.

On our O365, we open a slideshow, then click File > Share > Embed. The embed window (shown below) appears. We copy the iframe embed code then paste it into the RCE of a Canvas page, assignment, discussion, etc. 

Inkedembed powerpoint O365_edit.jpg

Here's a screenshot of what a student currently sees in Canvas when trying to view a teacher's PowerPoint that was embedded from O365. I'm wondering if the problem is a setting in our SharePoint?

Inkedembed powerpoint refused to connect sharepoint_edit.jpg

I am experiencing the same issues as Greg above.  I am able to embed and see the powerpoint on my canvas page but the powerpoint is not visible for students to see.  Students get the error message sharepoint.com refused to connect.  I follow the same steps as Greg.  File, share, get the embed code and embed.  

Any advice on how to get students to see the embedded powerpoint in their page and remove the sharepoint.com refused to connect error?

ilovell
Community Contributor

Anybody have any luck getting it to connect without a login? My only workaround was to create a personal One drive account and the embed code works as expected. Appears any education or business 365 account requires a login regardless of share settings.

karen_bowden
Community Participant

Just trying to help. This seems to be a common question. Solution without resorting to Google or OneDrive or O365 is to:

1. Insert the file.

2. Select the file link.

3. Select Link options.

4. Automatically open in-line preview.

linkoptions.jpg

lopezjamie
Community Participant

Any updates?

Has Canvas come up with a solution or is the workaround of creating a non .edu OneDrive account the only way to embed dynamic content like PowerPoints with animations into a Canvas page?

Since there are so many limitations in Canvas to interactive content it would be great if Canvas could come up with some standardized processes.

Many thanks!