Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dnosbisch
Community Member

Embedding Twitter Widget

Jump to solution

Embedding a Twitter Widget-

I have the widget embedded but it appears as a link first, so students have to click on it to see my twitter feed.  How do I set it so the feed automatically appears or constantly shows on the page without a "link" ?? See image below.282418_Screen Shot 2018-07-22 at 9.42.19 PM.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
laurakgibbs
Community Champion

The Twitter LTI is a very limited app; it will not display any media at all.

I've got some step-by-step instructions for saving an actual Twitter widget as an HTML file that you upload to the Files and then iframe in a Page... and the biggest snag I've seen is that people save the HTML file as a Word file or RTF file rather than as a plain text file; I've got a suggested fix for that here in Step 2 (i.e. using editpad.org, which is an online plain text editor)

Twitter4Canvas Home

I hope that helps! Let me know.

For the difference between the very limited LTI and the real Twitter widget, see the comparison here:

Twitter Tool v. Twitter Widget

comparison of Canvas Twitter tool and real Twitter widget

View solution in original post

6 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @dnosbisch ...

Are you using the Twitter LTI app that you can install in your course (this can also be installed at the account level for your entire school)?  Edu App Center: Twitter 

laurakgibbs
Community Champion

The Twitter LTI is a very limited app; it will not display any media at all.

I've got some step-by-step instructions for saving an actual Twitter widget as an HTML file that you upload to the Files and then iframe in a Page... and the biggest snag I've seen is that people save the HTML file as a Word file or RTF file rather than as a plain text file; I've got a suggested fix for that here in Step 2 (i.e. using editpad.org, which is an online plain text editor)

Twitter4Canvas Home

I hope that helps! Let me know.

For the difference between the very limited LTI and the real Twitter widget, see the comparison here:

Twitter Tool v. Twitter Widget

comparison of Canvas Twitter tool and real Twitter widget

View solution in original post

Laura,

I got it!! Thanks to you detailed instructions. Thank you very much! Very clear and helpful!

Denise Nosbisch

AP Language & Composition

English Department

Panther Creek High School

Hi  @dnosbisch ‌! I am so glad that it worked! If you run into any snags or have questions, let me know. I use Twitter primarily to find resources about writing and art (all those museums!) to share with my students. I don't use my class Twitter account much during the summer but I am excited to get back into it now that school is about to start. It's stimulating for the students, and stimulating for me too! 🙂

jmessing
Community Member

Thank you laurakgibbs for this widget which is almost working on my course page. The University of Maryland doesn't appear to have the 2 numbers needed in the HTML code to get the Twitter feed going on my summer class. I have followed the instructions carefully, 4 times. Any ideas?

Thank you.

sharon_kitching
Community Participant

The twitter plugin (LTI) we use is still extremely limited, and not as good as a proper embed which allows you to have : 

1. Embedded media
  2. Click on the link back to the full Twitter list
  3. Select each individual tweets to go back to that tweet for more information
  4. Choose #hashtag, list or user as the filter. 

Any plans on updating the Twitter LTI to something more functional?