cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Di_Cas
Community Member

Emojis greyed out in module and page titles

Jump to solution

A colleague recently created a number of modules and pages and used colour coded emojis to better distinguish categories. They worked well for a while in Chrome but are now greyed out. She opened the modules in Edge and it worked for a while until again the emjois went grey.

See the attachment. The first topic's circles are green and the second are red.

This has now happened to a number of people. Any ideas brains trust?? 

Thank you!

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SusanNiemeyer
Community Participant

It's a system-wide failture. Numerous instructers posting in the FB group "Teachers Using Canvas," including myself, have reported the same problem.

Hopefully, the colors will come back. However, I should point out that using only colors to distinguish between categories is problematic for color-blind students. I would suggest that your colleague also use shapes (e.g. red circle, blue square, green triangle).

View solution in original post

7 Replies
SusanNiemeyer
Community Participant

It's a system-wide failture. Numerous instructers posting in the FB group "Teachers Using Canvas," including myself, have reported the same problem.

Hopefully, the colors will come back. However, I should point out that using only colors to distinguish between categories is problematic for color-blind students. I would suggest that your colleague also use shapes (e.g. red circle, blue square, green triangle).

View solution in original post

MattHanes
Community Champion

Looks like the Chrome folks have identified the issue: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1266022

Hello Matt, I am having this issue too.  I checked the link you posted but it all looks greek to me.  Does that mean that Chrome is working on correcting it?

Thanks,

Katie

talway
Community Participant

I did notice that it is working correctly in Firefox.

MattHanes
Community Champion

@kmstewart , that is how I'm reading the comments. The one posted today seems to indicate they know exactly what's happening and why. I confirmed that removing "bold" styles from the CSS does make the colors come back. Hopefully it will get fixed in Chrome 97 if not sooner.

kmstewart
Community Member

@MattHanes thanks, that would be good news.  Fingers crossed.  🙂

Katie

Thank you for the news! I wish we could do something to control it but good to know chrome is at least aware of it. 

🤞