cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abunag
Community Champion

Enabling Google Docs?

Jump to solution

This guide references uploading assignments from Google Docs, and says "If the Google Docs tab is not available in your submission, your institution has not enabled this feature."

Does anyone have the directions for enabling this feature?  I see Google Docs listed under Enabled Web Services, but the Google Docs tab still isn't appearing

Slight edit: I'm an admin, and am trying to figure out how to enable it for our institution.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

@abunag ​  stefaniesanders   is never wrong, and it never hurts to reach out to your CSM.  Prior to reaching out, double check that you have okayed Google Docs in your personal settings, found here: How do I connect to Google Drive as a web service in Canvas?

Please let us know if that gets you what you need.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@abunag , I'm 99% positive that the Google Docs tab has to be enabled in your Canvas instance by your CSM (Customer Success Manager). I'm going to share your question with the appropriate person to get the definitive answer.

@abunag ​  stefaniesanders   is never wrong, and it never hurts to reach out to your CSM.  Prior to reaching out, double check that you have okayed Google Docs in your personal settings, found here: How do I connect to Google Drive as a web service in Canvas?

Please let us know if that gets you what you need.

View solution in original post

Thanks for confirming that, Deactivated user. Seriously lol'ing right now. :smileylaugh:

James
Community Champion

@abunag ​,

While stefaniesanders​ is checking, there are actually multiple conditions that have to be met to see the Google Docs upload tab in a submission.

1. Your institution must have enabled it. It's not on the list of What Feature Options are currently available for my institution? , but that makes me think that list is incomplete or it's not a "feature", it's just something your CSM enables.
  2. You must have specified the submission type is Online and then check File Uploads. That was the mistake that I made when I first started using Google Docs -- I didn't realize it was an "upload", I thought it was a Website URL.
  3. The user must have registered the Google Drive service from their user Settings page. There used to be a "Google Docs" integration, but it is no longer required if it's available. "Google Drive" is the one you want.
abunag
Community Champion

Sorry I wasn't clear - I'm the admin - this was a request from the faculty.  That link seems to be how an individual links up, so it's something I'll pass on to my users.

I'll contact my CSM about this.