Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
swinter
Community Champion

Enrolling Existing Users in Courses

Jump to solution

Updated

Original Subject Line: How do I add people that are already users to a class without looking for email addresses?

I am new to Canvas and want to know how I can add existing people in the Users list to a class without having to find their email addresses every time. It is very time consuming to have to open each profile and copy the email to another program to make the list and then go back to the add people window to copy the list to the class. I want to just be able to type names, and if they are already in the system, they resolve (or give me the choice to choose if there is more than one person with the same name). What is teh current strategy to make this an easy process instead of the one it is now?

Susan

Message was edited by: Chris Hofer

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
agooch
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Susan,

If you are looking to manually build a course roster, using the student's email is the only way to go. You can try contacting your Canvas admin to help you creating a provisioning report, which can help you more easily compile the needed email addresses. Keep in mind, If you are copying and pasting from a spreadsheet or other type of list where names are included with email addresses, you may want to check that they are formatted in one of the following formats. otherwise the names may not import correctly:

"EXAMPLE STUDENT" <student@example.com>

Lastname, Firstname" <firstlast@example.com>

JustAnEmailAddress@example.com

Please Note, if your institution uses SIS Imports, you do not need to add any users who are part of your institution's records for the course. They will be added to the course by your admin.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
agooch
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Susan,

If you are looking to manually build a course roster, using the student's email is the only way to go. You can try contacting your Canvas admin to help you creating a provisioning report, which can help you more easily compile the needed email addresses. Keep in mind, If you are copying and pasting from a spreadsheet or other type of list where names are included with email addresses, you may want to check that they are formatted in one of the following formats. otherwise the names may not import correctly:

"EXAMPLE STUDENT" <student@example.com>

Lastname, Firstname" <firstlast@example.com>

JustAnEmailAddress@example.com

Please Note, if your institution uses SIS Imports, you do not need to add any users who are part of your institution's records for the course. They will be added to the course by your admin.

View solution in original post

swinter
Community Champion

Thanks for the helpful info. I will be the system admin, but we will have many people building classes, so I was hoping for a non-SIS, non-paste way to just move students to a class based on the fact that they are already in the Canvas system. Having to create a list in that format is a lot of work since we will no longer be producing rosters in any software but Canvas. There will be no easy way to create a list of attendees per class in that format for pasting. In fact, students will be registering via Catalog, so not sure how they will get onto the roster once that happens (we will getting fully oriented to this process later this year).

ejackson
Community Champion

I use the student's ID# to add them to a course in Canvas, and that works well also. It also saves me the time/trouble having to look up email address or usernames.

swinter
Community Champion

Where do you find those ID numbers?

ejackson
Community Champion

I get them from the faculty I'm assisting. For credit classes that students are enrolled in, our SIS import process automatically adds students. But, for manually-created courses where students need to be added manually (such as student clubs/organizations, and other 'special' courses) the faculty member sends me the students names and ID#'s to use.

swinter
Community Champion

I see. We won't be using an SIS in conjunction with Canvas, so I guess I have to manually add people with email addresses.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Do your students have a unique student ID#? If so, then that's what we use as our SIS ID in Canvas (when we create an account), which then allows us to add a student using the SIS ID#. It's actually a good to use a unique ID# for each student because if you recycle/reuse email addresses eventually you'll get your accounts cluttered up. If you don't reuse email addresses, then that won't be a problem, but it's still worth considering.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @swinter ​...

It looks like you've gotten some great help here today.  In order to make your question more searchable here in the Canvas Community, I wanted to let you know that I'm going to modify your subject line and also tag your message with keywords.  This will help others search for your topic easier should they have similar questions.  If the revised subject line doesn't accurately reflect what you are asking in the body of your message, please let me know, and we can work to make any needed corrections.  I hope this is okay with you.