Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jen
Community Contributor

Enrolling as both Teacher and Student

Jump to solution

Hi All,

We are trying to create a course where our instructors are both teachers and students, but I am unsure of how they would switch between roles. Would they need two separate email addresses/logins (one used for teacher access and another for student access)? Is there a way that a person can be enrolled as both using one login/email?

Thank you!

Jennifer

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @jen ​...

It is actually possible to be "dual enrolled" as both a "Teacher" and a "Student" within the same Canvas course (just send the person an invite as the other role) in the same course.  However, if you "dual enroll" someone, I don't know that there's a way to "switch" between them in the same course.  One thing you'd have to keep in mind if you were to "dual enroll" someone is if a course was using any third-party LTI apps.  Earlier this year I tried to "dual enroll" one of our instructors using the Pearson MyLabs LTI app.  (The reason for "dual enrolling" was so that he could easily access some student groups he had created for a course project.)  However, after I "dual enrolled" him, he was not able to access MyLabs properly...because the MyLabs LTI was treating him as a "Student" instead of an instructor.  So, I had to remove his access as a "Student" in Canavs, and it fixed the issue.

Would they need two separate email addresses/logins (one used for teacher access and another for student access)?

It sounds like this would be the way to go...to create two separate logins for you.  However, like Deactivated user​, I am wondering what this would accomplish?  Is there something you are looking for that the "Test Student" would not?

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

8 Replies
agooch
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Jennifer,

The teacher could enroll as both teacher and student in a course, but the permissions will default to the higher permission (in this case the teacher's permissions).

I am interested in the use case for your question. Is this a course in which the teacher will actually be participating or are they wanting to see things from the student's perspective? If the latter is the case, I would suggest the teacher either use student view or masquerades as a student from the course to accomplish that, but again, I would love to hear if you were hoping to accomplish something different.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @jen ​...

It is actually possible to be "dual enrolled" as both a "Teacher" and a "Student" within the same Canvas course (just send the person an invite as the other role) in the same course.  However, if you "dual enroll" someone, I don't know that there's a way to "switch" between them in the same course.  One thing you'd have to keep in mind if you were to "dual enroll" someone is if a course was using any third-party LTI apps.  Earlier this year I tried to "dual enroll" one of our instructors using the Pearson MyLabs LTI app.  (The reason for "dual enrolling" was so that he could easily access some student groups he had created for a course project.)  However, after I "dual enrolled" him, he was not able to access MyLabs properly...because the MyLabs LTI was treating him as a "Student" instead of an instructor.  So, I had to remove his access as a "Student" in Canavs, and it fixed the issue.

Would they need two separate email addresses/logins (one used for teacher access and another for student access)?

It sounds like this would be the way to go...to create two separate logins for you.  However, like Deactivated user​, I am wondering what this would accomplish?  Is there something you are looking for that the "Test Student" would not?

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

kedgecomb
Community Champion

Hi  @jen ​,

I, too, sometimes want to go beyond the test student and become a real student in a class I am enrolled as a teacher.  For me, it is generally for training and troubleshooting issues in Canvas.  If your admins, could set up some "dummy" student accounts to use, that would be wonderful.  I have five "dummy" accounts I use, and they all are numerical usernames with the same password.  It makes it easy to remember!  Smiley Happy

jen
Community Contributor

Fun stuff! Thanks for all of the responses, everyone!

Here's the usecase:

Our instructors need to practice some skills and provide examples of their growth on a monthly basis. We have created a course and enrolled them as students so they can upload videos of themselves participating in the skills-building activity once per month (a separate assessment per month).

Their supervisor (enrolled as a teacher) is going to review their work and score it using a rubric.

The instructors will want to upload and see their own submissions (as students) but they will also want to see their colleagues submissions (as teachers), including their rubric scores so that everyone can grow in their understanding and skill.

I think that having separate logins may be the easiest way for them to have both views, but I'm very open to other options. 

Would group activities allow students to see each others submissions? Could they see each other's rubric scores?

Thanks!

Jennifer

jen
Community Contributor

Update: Looks like we might go with Graded Discussions instead. But thanks!

bcrook
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

I'm in this situation right now and looking for the best solution.  As we are moving more Faculty PD into Canvas, for example Teaching Portfolios, I need the Department Chairs to not only be a student and submit their own teaching portfolio submissions each month, but they also need to act as a teacher to all faculty within their specific department. 

thebert
Community Contributor

To track the student vs. the admin. you need separate accounts. So, Canvas keeps both separate use a slight difference in the name. One has the middle initial, e.g. admin.; the other does NOT have the middle initial, e.g. teacher or admin. Also, use a different e-mail. The student should use a personal e-mail, e.g. gmail or yahoo. The admin or teacher should use their work e-mail.

ghillman
Community Member

Is there background to this discussion?

<http://www.dts.edu/>

George M. Hillman Jr, MDiv, PhD

Department Chair & Professor

Educational Ministries and Leadership

214-887-5261 (Office)

972-896-6029 (Cell)

214-887-5134 (Admin Assistant Janet Harris)

http://www.dts.edu/eml

Twitter: @geohil

Facebook: GeorgeMHillmanJr

Instagram: @geohil1

LinkedIn: GeorgeMHillmanJr

Google+: GeorgeMHillmanJr

"Lord God, almighty and everlasting Father, you have brought me in safety to this new day:

Preserve me with your mighty power, that I may not fall into sin, nor be overcome by adversity;

and in all I do direct me to the fulfilling of your purpose; through Jesus Christ my Lord. Amen.”

The Divine Hours