cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
parmana
Community Participant

Entering Default Grades: Entry box must be clicked on twice.

Jump to solution

When entering a default grade for an assignment in gradebook (usually after hand entering grades, to give all those that didn't submit, a zero) I always have to click on the entry box for the default grade in the pop-up _twice_ before I can actually type in it.

Does anyone else experience this?

Is there anyway to stop it from doing this?

The flashing cursor line should stay in the box after only one click.

I use the latest Chrome browser.

Happens in the old and new gradebook.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @parmana  - Hmm; that's odd.  I just now tried this myself on a couple of sample course sites that I use, and I have to report that the behavior did not happen to me....using both the old gradebook as well as the new.  (For the record, I'm using Chrome as well.)  To be clear, you are talking about the dialog box generated after clicking the column options and selecting Set Default Grade, such as shown on this page, correct?  I just have to click in that popup dialog box once, and I can indeed type in the grade.  (Though since we're on the topic, I have to admit that it would be nice if the focus went immediately to that box rather than having to click within it at all, but I digress....)

I suggest, first, switching to a different browser and seeing if it happens there, too.  But also perhaps have your local IT folks take a look to see if there's something that could interfering with the expected behavior.  Does it happen on other forms on the web, for example?  I really can't think of what may be causing that issue.  Very strange.  If it's not something local on your machine, then I you may want to alert Canvas support (Help>>Report a Problem).  As I know from my own experience helping people, it's these local issues that are the hardest to troubleshoot.  I would still recommend reporting it, though, to Canvas, since then they can see if others have reported the same issue and they can start figuring out if there are specific things at play that are unique to causing it to happen in certain situations.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @parmana  - Hmm; that's odd.  I just now tried this myself on a couple of sample course sites that I use, and I have to report that the behavior did not happen to me....using both the old gradebook as well as the new.  (For the record, I'm using Chrome as well.)  To be clear, you are talking about the dialog box generated after clicking the column options and selecting Set Default Grade, such as shown on this page, correct?  I just have to click in that popup dialog box once, and I can indeed type in the grade.  (Though since we're on the topic, I have to admit that it would be nice if the focus went immediately to that box rather than having to click within it at all, but I digress....)

I suggest, first, switching to a different browser and seeing if it happens there, too.  But also perhaps have your local IT folks take a look to see if there's something that could interfering with the expected behavior.  Does it happen on other forms on the web, for example?  I really can't think of what may be causing that issue.  Very strange.  If it's not something local on your machine, then I you may want to alert Canvas support (Help>>Report a Problem).  As I know from my own experience helping people, it's these local issues that are the hardest to troubleshoot.  I would still recommend reporting it, though, to Canvas, since then they can see if others have reported the same issue and they can start figuring out if there are specific things at play that are unique to causing it to happen in certain situations.

View solution in original post