cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robert_degroff
Community Member

Erratic point distribution when editing rubrics

Hello all,

I recently created a 100 point rubric for my Art Appreciation course with three criteria, weighted as follows: 40%, 30% and 30%.

I then decided to add another criterion and weight them as 35%, 25%, 25% and 15%. I assumed that when I changed the points possible in the far right-hand column, the rubric would fill in the rest and distribute the points evenly, as it did when I first created the rubric. However, strange things ensued:

246921_Rubric1.jpg

With the exception of the last criterion, which is all-or-nothing, each criterion has four possible levels of achievement, corresponding to A, B, C, D/F. But note now that the third column in the top criterion scores 11 pts. and the next one down scores 12 pts., even though the top criterion is worth 35% and the one below is 25%.

The third criterion, Creative Effort, is totally messed up, going from from 25 pts., "excellent" to 0, 0, 0 for the rest.

Changing the points in the far right column to "0", then back to 25 seemed to work--sometimes. Manually changing the points at each step within the criterion did not work at all.

Finally, after much finagling, I think I have a rubric that will work, but what a pain!

246922_Rubric7.jpg

I am new to working with rubrics in Canvas. Am I doing something wrong here, or are there some serious bugs?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I've had similar issues when editing rubrics and assumed it was just weird stuff with rubrics. I honestly find it easier to just recreate rubrics using this - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-8844-importing-rubrics-from-a-spreadsheet?sr=search&searchI...

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, robert.degroff...

I noticed that we have not heard from you since you first posted this question back on August 16th and then received a response from  @kona ‌ a day later.  Have you had an opportunity to review her response?  If so, did it help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some help with your rubrics?  After reviewing Kona's response, if you feel that it has answered your question, please go ahead and mark it as "Correct".  However, if you are still in need of some help, please post a message below so that members of the Community can continue to assist you.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't keep you or others from posting additional questions/comments below that are related to your initial question.  I hope that's alright with you, Robert.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon!

khaan
Community Member

I've had the same issue editing rubrics. If I adjust the point value of a rating, it automatically changes the rest of the rating options for that criteria in a nonsensical way, in my opinion. How can you edit the point values in a rubric without the entire row? I'm going to look at the spreadsheet option. This is our first quarter on Canvas after a decade on Blackboard, so the learning curve is large!