Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hallidayd
Community Member

Exiting a Test or Quiz and Returning Later

Jump to solution

Updated Subject line

How can a student exit a test or quiz without submitting it? So that they can return to the test the next day?

Message was edited by: Chris Hofer

4 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@hallidayd ​,

Students simply have to close the window for the quiz.  Canvas saves as the student answers.  I would be careful of fill in the blank, short answer and essay type questions.  Also, the timer does not stop if the student exists, so if there is a time limit, the quiz will auto-submit the next time the student logs in and click the take quiz button.  If you want the students to be able to exit and return, do not set a  time limit.

Robbie

View solution in original post

cwendt
Community Champion

That *is* cool! I just had a DERRRRR moment! SO simple, but it never occurred to me!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Yeah, I can't believe I hadn't thought of it before!

kedgecomb
Community Champion

I tried it as a test student and my time started where I had stopped previously.  By hitting the back button, it stopped and I was able to resume the time later.   @Robbie_Grant ​

7 Replies
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@hallidayd ​,

Students simply have to close the window for the quiz.  Canvas saves as the student answers.  I would be careful of fill in the blank, short answer and essay type questions.  Also, the timer does not stop if the student exists, so if there is a time limit, the quiz will auto-submit the next time the student logs in and click the take quiz button.  If you want the students to be able to exit and return, do not set a  time limit.

Robbie

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

As a follow up to what  @Robbie_Grant  said, I just learned today that if you don't want students to work on the test outside of class (but want it to extend over multiple days) you can add an Access Code after they are finished working on the test the first day. What that does is prevent students from getting back into the test until they are in class with you the next day and you give them the code. If you need to extend it out past two days, then just change the code each time you need to extend it out. Pretty cool, huh? Smiley Happy

cwendt
Community Champion

That *is* cool! I just had a DERRRRR moment! SO simple, but it never occurred to me!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Yeah, I can't believe I hadn't thought of it before!

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @hallidayd ​...

It looks like  @Robbie_Grant ​ and  @kona ​ have given you some great help here.  I'll go ahead and mark this question as "Assumed Answered" since both of their answers are helpful to your question.  Also, just so you know, I am going to modify the title of your subject line and also tag your question with keywords.  Since your subject line is the same as the text in the body of your message, it's not necessary to post it twice.  Modifying the subject line and adding some keywords will help others search for your question easier should they have similar questions down the road.  If the revised subject line doesn't really reflect what you are asking in the body of your message, please let me know, and we can work to make corrections.  Hope this is okay with you.

kedgecomb
Community Champion

I tried it as a test student and my time started where I had stopped previously.  By hitting the back button, it stopped and I was able to resume the time later.   @Robbie_Grant ​

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@kedgecomb ​, are you saying that the timer stopped while you weren't in the quiz? If so, then that is not normal or expected behavior and probably a bug of some sort.