cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
weaver_852
Community Participant

Export Canvas Recorded Audio/Video

Students in my class recently used a Discussion board to record audio/video files. Most of the students utilized the Rich Content Editor within Canvas for this. I am wondering if I am able to obtain some of these files to feature on our class website or if they are not able to be exported from Canvas. Thanks!

8 Replies
abunag
Community Champion

Likely not.  They're stored in Instructure's account with Kaltura.  We've asked in the past and they weren't able to provide a way to get the file.

brendaa
Community Contributor

Is this true for all Canvas recordings?  We also have a case where the instructor has recordings that he would like to export to make available for other purposes.  Some of these recordings were in the grading feedback.

gabrielle_orsi
Community Participant

Screen capture is probably your best bet here.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @weaver_852 ‌...

While I don't necessarily have an answer for you, I noticed that we have not heard from you since you first posted this question on April 28th.  So, I thought I would check in with you.  Have you had an opportunity to review the responses you've received above?  If so, did any of them help to answer your question?  Or, do you still have questions about exporting recorded audio/video?  If one of the above responses has helped to answer your question, please feel free to mark it as "Correct".  However, if you are still in need of some help with this, please let us know by posting a comment below so that members of the Canvas Community can continue to assist you.  For now, since we've not heard from you for a while and since there hasn't been any new activity here since May 16th, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional replies below.  I hope that's okay with you Ella.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

weaver_852
Community Participant

Thanks, Chris. Unfortunately I have not really come up with any solutions to this issue. Until Canvas may introduce this function, there does not seem to be a way to obtain these files. For the purposes of may project, I simply used the files that were uploaded "incorrectly" aka not using Canvas' embedded media recorder. In the future, I may have to simply screen capture as suggested above, which will require a lot more time on my part. Feel free to mark this answered unless you feel that others may have more ideas or input.

lee_knowlton
Community Participant

I apologize if I'm misunderstanding the question, but I think you can save the video with the following process:

1. Click play the video you've recorded to start playback.
  2. Right click and "save video as"

245477_Capture.PNG

weaver_852
Community Participant

Thanks for the tip, Lee! That option is available for the videos that students submitted. Any ideas on the just audio clips? This is what most students turn in (of course) and really what I would like to isolate. 

delrussoj
Community Member

Here's the thing to extract the audio. Go to the page where the audio clip is located. click EDIT. select HTML editor and scroll to the code that represents the audio file. You don't need to be a computer geek to figure it out. I don't know anything about coding, but I can see the word "audio". I believe it's there twice. Replace the word "audio", wherever it exists, with the word "video". I don't think it matters, but keep it the same case. Save. Click on the audio file. When it begins playing video, right-click on it and save the video file somewhere on your computer. (see post above in this question string by Lee Knowlton 8/2/17) That video file will actually may be an audio file of some sort. Depending upon your operating system and default audio/video software. Not perfect. But I've done it and it works on a MacBook.