Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pbaumeister

Export Course Content without Quizzes

I am exporting some of our courses to Moodle and I am having difficulty with the Canvas quizzes causing failures. If I delete the quizzes in Canvas, then the courses will export much of the content correctly. If I leave the quizzes in the course, it will fail with errors in Moodle.

4 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there,  @pbaumeister ‌...

I'm am unclear as to what you are possibly asking in this post.  Are you reporting a behavior in Canvas that you're not expecting?  Are you asking if there are work-around to export the course without your quizzes different than what you're currently doing?  Are you requesting an enhancement (Feature Idea) to Canvas?  Depending on what you are asking, you may need to either report the issue to the Help Desk staff at Instructure, or you may need to submit this as a Feature Idea so that people have the opportunity to vote on it.  Could you help clarify?

However, as I re-read your posting above, part of me wonders if reaching out to Moodle would also be a good idea?  Maybe they have some insights as well so that the course can import properly from a Canvas export?  I have next to no experience using Moodle (just trying it out many years ago for no more than an hour or two), and so I'm not sure if contacting Moodle would be appropriate or not.  Maybe there are others here in the Canvas Community that would have other ideas.  I'll share your question with the LMS Migration Strategies group here in the Canvas Community in hopes that your question will get additional exposure here in the Community.  If you are not following that group, you can do so by using the link I've provided.  Then, click on the "Follow" button at the top right corner of the page.

Good luck, Paul!

Hi Chris,

I have tried to export the content from Canvas which includes the quizzes. However, when I go to Moodle and import the imssc export file from Canvas, it errs out. It errs out due to the quizzes being setup differently than Moodle as far as I could tell. So, the workaround that I have done is. I deleted the quizzes. Then exported the course from Canvas. Then I imported the file and it worked in Moodle. It created everything except the assignments became only webpages, which is not a problem, since I can fix that. After that I undeleted the quizzes in Canvas. This worked, but it would be better if I could just export the Canvas course without the quizzes without having to delete them out of the Canvas course. 

@pbaumeister ‌, perhaps you could do a selective import from the Canvas course into a Canvas sandbox course. When you select the content to import into the sandbox, don't select the quizzes. You can then create an .imscc from the sandbox to bring into Moodle. Would that work?

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@pbaumeister ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie