cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
frankel
Community Champion

Export Names of Group Members

Jump to solution

Is there a way to export or download the names of students in groups?  As Speedgrader doesn't arrange students by groups, it would help to have a list of names so that I and the TAs (each of us grading different groups) can easily see who we should grade.

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

frankel‌, no, there isn’t currently a way to do this in Canvas. Yet, there is a feature idea for this that is in the Product Radar stage - https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/5821-group-roster-export" modifiedtitle="true" title="Group Ro.... My recommendation is to cote and comment on how this would be helpful.  

View solution in original post

6 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

frankel‌, no, there isn’t currently a way to do this in Canvas. Yet, there is a feature idea for this that is in the Product Radar stage - https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/5821-group-roster-export" modifiedtitle="true" title="Group Ro.... My recommendation is to cote and comment on how this would be helpful.  

View solution in original post

frankel
Community Champion

Thanks,  @kona ‌.  I've voted and commented.

leo_devin
Community Participant

I have the same problem. My students sign up for various labs, and the lab instructors need lists to register attendance.

To my opinion, being able to generate participant lists en group lists is rather basic functionality.

My work-around is to open all the groups so that the names show, and then in the browser convert the web page to pdf. In some browsers this works better than in others. This way, the instructors get name lists but can also see where there are open spots in the schedule (in case a student misses the lab).

sibley
Community Participant

Hi

We built a phyton script to inject and retrieve groups from Canvas.

If you send me an email at jim.sibley@ubc.ca

I can get you in touch with my help desk administrator that built and uses the script.

jim

a_haans
Community Member

I used the following work around. I set the assignment to one grade per group rather then per group member. Then I grade each group using group number as grade. So the first group scores a 1, the second a 2, etcetera. Then on the people page I export the grade list. You might want to mute the assignment in the speed grader before you do this.

leo_devin
Community Participant

Is Canvas a joke? It has 13445 functions that clever programmers coded but which hardly anybody will ever use.

Yet it lacks basic functions like creating course participant and group lists in a simple way.

Interesting enough, those who decide on purchasing a learning platform often are not those who are going to use it, but those who are supposed to be a support function to educators. Now the best way to secure your job as an education support officer is to acquire a poor learning platform.