cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mgorham
Community Participant

Exporting into Eduphoria?

Jump to solution

I am using the free version of Canvas to create a blended classroom for my high school World History classes. My district also uses Aware, an app that is part of Eduphoria, to do data analysis and generate admin/teacher reports. I would like to use the Canvas quiz feature to create and administer assessments but I will need a way to take the assessments and upload the data into Aware. I've been trying to do my homework and figure out the conversion process myself but I'm still unsure. I know there are numerous articles on downloading Canvas quiz results but I need a little supplemental clarification. Ideally someone would be able to tell me a step by step process for uploading Canvas quizzes into Aware, but I'll settle for any help I can get. Thanks!

These are the website I have been using to try and figure this out:

1. Uploading Test Files in Aware
  2. Importing Test Scores
  3. Exporting Quiz Submissions (the problem here is I know very little about APIs and have ZERO coding experience)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@mgorham , to be clear, are you ok with doing this manually? If so, then you don't need any coding/programming experience, just a little extra time to clean up the CSV file from Canvas. The following directions might sound/look like a lot, but once you do it a couple of times it shouldn't be too bad or take more than a few minutes to clean things up and have them ready to import into Aware. 

Manual Directions:

1. Give the quiz in Canvas.

2. Download the Student Analysis - it downloads as a CSV file, which is accepted by Aware per this document - Importing Test Scores – Eduphoria! See this guide for directions on how to download the Student Analysis from Canvas - Once I publish a quiz, what kinds of quiz statistics are available? (make sure to scroll down to where it talks about Student Analysis).

3. Open the Student Analysis csv file (will open up in Excel) and clean it up. Per the directions on this page - Importing Test Scores – Eduphoria! - it needs to be in the following format -"The student ID should be the first column followed by the students' responses to each question with no header row."

• Initially this means you need to check to see if any of the ID numbers provided on this sheet are the same ones your school uses with Aware. If one set (probably the SIS-ID, 3rd column) does work, then you can delete the first two columns so the student ID is the in the first column. If the student's ID number isn't on this CSV file then you'll need to add create a new column at the beginning of the spreadsheet with these numbers.
  • Then go through and delete all the extra columns. Per the directions for Importing Test Scores you only want the student ID (in the first column) and then the students' responses to each question in the following columns. On the CSV this means you'll need to delete a lot of extra columns - probably the first eight, other than the Student's ID number column. The columns you WANT are the ones with the answer the student provided (not the number, unless the answer the student provided was a number).
  • Once you get it down to only the Student ID column and the answer columns, then delete the first row (header) - this is also per the directions on the Importing Test Scores guide. 
  • When you're done with all this save the file and make sure to keep it in CSV format.

4. Use the rest of the directions from Importing Test Scores – Eduphoria! to get things ready in Aware for you to import the file from Canvas - "For the import to complete successfully, the same process for creating a paper scanned benchmark must be applied.

Hope this helps!

Kona

View solution in original post

5 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@mgorham , to be clear, are you ok with doing this manually? If so, then you don't need any coding/programming experience, just a little extra time to clean up the CSV file from Canvas. The following directions might sound/look like a lot, but once you do it a couple of times it shouldn't be too bad or take more than a few minutes to clean things up and have them ready to import into Aware. 

Manual Directions:

1. Give the quiz in Canvas.

2. Download the Student Analysis - it downloads as a CSV file, which is accepted by Aware per this document - Importing Test Scores – Eduphoria! See this guide for directions on how to download the Student Analysis from Canvas - Once I publish a quiz, what kinds of quiz statistics are available? (make sure to scroll down to where it talks about Student Analysis).

3. Open the Student Analysis csv file (will open up in Excel) and clean it up. Per the directions on this page - Importing Test Scores – Eduphoria! - it needs to be in the following format -"The student ID should be the first column followed by the students' responses to each question with no header row."

• Initially this means you need to check to see if any of the ID numbers provided on this sheet are the same ones your school uses with Aware. If one set (probably the SIS-ID, 3rd column) does work, then you can delete the first two columns so the student ID is the in the first column. If the student's ID number isn't on this CSV file then you'll need to add create a new column at the beginning of the spreadsheet with these numbers.
  • Then go through and delete all the extra columns. Per the directions for Importing Test Scores you only want the student ID (in the first column) and then the students' responses to each question in the following columns. On the CSV this means you'll need to delete a lot of extra columns - probably the first eight, other than the Student's ID number column. The columns you WANT are the ones with the answer the student provided (not the number, unless the answer the student provided was a number).
  • Once you get it down to only the Student ID column and the answer columns, then delete the first row (header) - this is also per the directions on the Importing Test Scores guide. 
  • When you're done with all this save the file and make sure to keep it in CSV format.

4. Use the rest of the directions from Importing Test Scores – Eduphoria! to get things ready in Aware for you to import the file from Canvas - "For the import to complete successfully, the same process for creating a paper scanned benchmark must be applied.

Hope this helps!

Kona

View solution in original post

mgorham
Community Participant

This is amazing. Thank you  @kona  for taking the time to lay it out so easily. Do you know how/if this would work if I created question groups which selected x number of questions from the overall number available? I know the Aware part isn't your area of expertise but I have my doubts it will work if I do it that way. I think I will have to have tests that don't fluctuate. Come to think about it, I probably wouldn't even be able to scramble the answers, right?

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@mgorham , I’m not sure how Aware works, but on the Canvas side it would show up as blank in the CSV file if a student didn’t receive a question that other students got, so good chance in Aware that it might register as the student missing the question instead of not getting the question. You’d have to dig deeper into how they do things - maybe ask tech support at your school - to know for sure.  

What would be ok though is using a question group where you pick the total number of questions available (ex: if there are 30 questions in the group then you pick 30 questions from the group for the quiz - this just randomizes the order of the questions). This works because the questions, while in a different order for each student, are still given to every student. What I’ve seen in the past on the CSV file for a quiz like this doesn’t show the students answers in order of how they were on the quiz for that student, but rather all questions are still lined up in columns just like if the questions were given in order. Meaning it will work for what you need.

Same thing goes for the answer choices. It won’t show A, B, C, D - because Canvas doesn’t assign arbitrary letters to answer options like this - instead it gives the full answer (Ex: if the first answer option is Harry Potter, in the CSV file it says Harry Potter for that student as their answer choice rather than A). That means you can go ahead and randomize the answer choices. Yet, that also might make a difference in how you set things up on the Aware side of things. 

Hope this helps!

Kona

mgorham
Community Participant

Thanks for all your help  @kona ‌. This is the first year I am use Canvas in this way and I'm realizing just how much I still have to learn! 

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@mgorham , no worries and you're definitely in the right place to get help and find useful resources to help you along! There are a lot of people, resources, and information available in the Community to provide assistance, and to be honest, I've used Canvas since 2012 and still learn something new all the time!

Hope to see you around the Community!

Kona