cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
julieddavis
Community Participant

Extended Time on Quizzes not available?

A teacher wants to give extended time to a student on a quiz but that option doesn't seem to be available but I see that option when I research inside the community. Is that a setting that needs to be turned on somewhere? In the course? Admin level? I have a quiz that will close in 1 hour and we don't want it to do so! Help please!

8 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

julieddavis‌, does the quiz itself actually have a time limit (in the quiz settings)? I was only able to replicate this on quizzes for which no time limit had been specified. Otherwise, I can see the option to add extra time for the student.

julieddavis
Community Participant

It doesn't have a time limit but it has a due date that seems to be

counting down.

Julie Davis, M. Ed.

Director of Instructional Technology and Innovation

Chattanooga Christian School

On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 3:42 PM stefaniesanders <instructure@jiveon.com>

That explains it, julieddavis‌. It's not possible to extend the time limit on a quiz that doesn't have a time limit set. It sounds like the instructor actually needs to give this student a different due date, and would use differentiated assignments to do that: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10038-4152101240 

julieddavis
Community Participant

The problem with that is the fear that student won’t come prepared for the

quiz on the actual correct date it is given. It’s tricky! The assumption is

he might not need the extra time but we want to allow for it if he does.

On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 4:09 PM stefaniesanders <instructure@jiveon.com>

julieddavis‌, in this case the instructor would use the differentiated assignments feature to assign the quiz to just the one student with a "different due date" that is actually the same date but with a different, later time. 

julieddavis
Community Participant

Because this is a middle schooler, he won’t be able to access the test

again until that class time tomorrow. It’s tricky on how best to set it up

for him. We will figure it out though! Thanks so much for your quick

responses!

On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 4:24 PM Stefanie Sanders <instructure@jiveon.com>

You're welcome, julieddavis‌. Good luck setting it up tomorrow!

sdavick
Community Contributor

Maybe the teacher could set up the test with a different due date/time (a later time) for this student than the other students as an "in case" situation. Then if the student does need extended time he could change the due date/time for that one test before the time runs out.