cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jraposo
Community Participant

External tool function not working

Jump to solution

I have a set of assignments that use the external tool function to link to resources from the textbook website. These tools all worked a week ago. Today, I started getting an error message saying "couldn't find valid settings for this link" and the site returned me to my home page. When I entered the Edit function of an assignment to check the settings, nothing was out of the ordinary. I copied and pasted the URL for the external tool into a different tab to make sure it wasn't the textbook site - the site loaded properly.

I use a Macbook. I have tested this out in Firefox (including a private window), Chrome, and Safari, both in my view and in Student View. I have restarted the computer to get a fresh start; also no luck.

Anyone have any ideas?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @jraposo ‌ - This is always hard to trouble-shoot, but the first step is to make sure that the external tool is still properly installed in your course site.  Head to the Settings menu item, and on the ensuing screen click on the Apps tab on the top, and finally click the Installed link on that screen.  If you're not seeing the textbook publisher's app listed on that page as "Installed," that's the issue.

But it's probably a bit more complex than that.  These apps are known to update, and you didn't indicate whether this was an app that you installed just for your course or if it is installed institution-wide.  In either case, explain your issues to your textbook sales rep and ask if the LTI (as they are called) has been updated recently or if there are any steps that you and/or your Canvas system administrator can take to ensure that the most current version is being run.  If not, then that will be the next thing to do...and again, the how and why of this will depend on whether the LTI is installed at an institutional level (in which case see your Canvas admin) or just on your course.  Sometimes, like any software, uninstalling and re-installing can sometimes work, but that runs the risk of anything that you've created already in your course site getting corrupted, forcing you to re-do each of the items from scratch.  (Which you may wind up doing, anyway.)

So, the basic recommendation is check with your rep after making sure the app is still installed.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @jraposo ‌ - This is always hard to trouble-shoot, but the first step is to make sure that the external tool is still properly installed in your course site.  Head to the Settings menu item, and on the ensuing screen click on the Apps tab on the top, and finally click the Installed link on that screen.  If you're not seeing the textbook publisher's app listed on that page as "Installed," that's the issue.

But it's probably a bit more complex than that.  These apps are known to update, and you didn't indicate whether this was an app that you installed just for your course or if it is installed institution-wide.  In either case, explain your issues to your textbook sales rep and ask if the LTI (as they are called) has been updated recently or if there are any steps that you and/or your Canvas system administrator can take to ensure that the most current version is being run.  If not, then that will be the next thing to do...and again, the how and why of this will depend on whether the LTI is installed at an institutional level (in which case see your Canvas admin) or just on your course.  Sometimes, like any software, uninstalling and re-installing can sometimes work, but that runs the risk of anything that you've created already in your course site getting corrupted, forcing you to re-do each of the items from scratch.  (Which you may wind up doing, anyway.)

So, the basic recommendation is check with your rep after making sure the app is still installed.

View solution in original post

jraposo
Community Participant

Thanks, Ken. It turns out that was the issue. My university had removed the app from our Canvas platform. I have the publisher and our IT department working on it.

kblack
Community Champion

Happy to help, Jessica. I'm glad that it was at least a solvable problem!  Have a good beginning of the academic term!

shirota
Community Member

@kblack I am having the same problem on an older course.  I can use my Google Assignments LTI in my current course, I can even add a new assignment to the old course and use External Tool to add an external tool.  BUT all my previous assignments will not open.  When I click on the assignment, it switches to an fractured version of my home page and has the same error message.  It won't even let me see what I had originally typed up in the assignment body.  I am about to start the same course and wanted to import all my previous assignments and now it won't open.  Any help you may have would be greatly appreciated.