Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
murphy_1527
Community Contributor

Extra attempts and grading

Jump to solution

Hi there,

I have an instructor that wants to create an assignment that functions as follows:

1. Students complete a quiz or assessment of some type that contains MC and short answer questions.
  2. Upon submission they are able to see their answers but only their answers.
  3. They can then have 24 hours to go back, think about their answers, make any changes they want to their answers and resubmit.
  4. The assignment will be open for a one-week window but students only have 24-hours to complete all of it. The timer starts when they make their first submission.

Any idea on how to do this?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

This is not possible with the functionality provided by Canvas. You would need to look into a LTI solution, though I don't know of any that would do this.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
dhulsey
Community Champion

Maybe. Sort of.

You could try this. Set the open and due dates for the week you want the quiz to be open. Set the time limit on the quiz at 1,140 minutes (24 hours). When a student starts the quiz, she will trigger the 24 hour timer. She can answer questions, close the quiz, reopen the quiz, see her answers, and change her answers -- as long as the timer has not expired. The only difference is that the quiz will be a single 24 hour attempt instead of multiple attempts.

I think that might work.

murphy_1527
Community Contributor

Hi Dallas,

Thanks for the suggestion. I think the instructor wanted the 24-hour clock to start *after* the first submission, but she might just have to live with clock starting once the student *starts* the assignment. That still might be the best work around.

I appreciate you replying.

murphy_1527
Community Contributor

OK. I just talked to the instructor and got more details:

She would like to have two submissions - both timed. The first one would be 60 minutes and then the 24-hour clock would start from the time of that first submission.

dhulsey
Community Champion

I don't know of a way to do that. Sorry! Smiley Sad

This is not possible with the functionality provided by Canvas. You would need to look into a LTI solution, though I don't know of any that would do this.

View solution in original post

murphy_1527
Community Contributor

Thanks everyone. I appreciate it. I will look at LTI solutions.