cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
judy_harmon
Community Contributor

Faculty Journal - Practical Application?

Jump to solution

I've used the Faculty Journal successfully in a previous school.  When introducing it in my new school, a few questions were asked:

1. Is the Faculty Journal open to just those student in an instructor's class (so I couldn't look at a student who wasn't mine).
  2. Have you heard of it used to upload accommodation information from Disability Services for a student so all the student's instructors will have that information?
  3. Have there been any concerns with FERPA (and/or HIPPA) with faculty access to information of students not enrolled in their courses?

I'd appreciate your thoughts!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@judy_harmon ‌, since you brought up FERPA I'm going to assume you are higher ed and if so then YES, I would strongly recommended not using Faculty journal. Faculty can't see students outside their course, but they can see anything anyone has written about that student in the faculty journal. So comments from different teachers and different courses and even stuff from different semesters. 

As for every teacher being able to see accommodations information for a student, I'm not sure if these rules are federal or just for our school, but we (the College) do not disclose this information. It is up to the student to reveal as much as they want or don't want to the Instructor. In addition the student gets to decide which courses they use their accommodations and to what degree (in some cases they choose not to disclose or use their accommodation). 

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@judy_harmon ‌, since you brought up FERPA I'm going to assume you are higher ed and if so then YES, I would strongly recommended not using Faculty journal. Faculty can't see students outside their course, but they can see anything anyone has written about that student in the faculty journal. So comments from different teachers and different courses and even stuff from different semesters. 

As for every teacher being able to see accommodations information for a student, I'm not sure if these rules are federal or just for our school, but we (the College) do not disclose this information. It is up to the student to reveal as much as they want or don't want to the Instructor. In addition the student gets to decide which courses they use their accommodations and to what degree (in some cases they choose not to disclose or use their accommodation). 

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

judy_harmon
Community Contributor

Kona, thanks so much.  I really wish there was more explanation and discussion about some of these issues in the Instructor Guide about Faculty Journal.  Thanks for your time!

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there,  @judy_harmon  ...

I thought I would check in with you because I noticed there hasn't been any new activity in this particular discussion topic for over two months.  It looks like  @kona ‌ was able to provide you with some insights about the Faculty Journal.  Do you have any outstanding questions yet as it relates to your initial questions?  Or, do you feel that Kona's response fully answered your questions?  If you feel that Kona's response was "Correct", please go ahead and mark it as such.  However, if you've still got any outstanding questions, please post them below so that Canvas Community members can assist you.  For now, since we've not had any new activity in this thread for quite a while, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't stop others from posting additional questions/comments below.  I hope that's okay with you, Judy.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

judy_harmon
Community Contributor

Thanks Chris.  I did appreciate Kona's answer and shared it with some of our leadership.  So I marked it "Correct" as you requested.