Feedback Disappeared!

Jump to solution
SeanWheeler
Community Member
Hey, hive-mind--I hope someone has an answer to this, because I'm freaking out a bit.  I had kids submit rough drafts of essays right before the holiday break; I added feedback through Canvas on them.  I then set up the rough draft so that kids would be able to proofread one another's papers, and  now it seems that no one can see their feedback from me.  I hadn't initially set up the assignment for peer reviews; I did that this morning so that they could start proofreading one another's work.  I'm worried that by setting up the peer reviews on Canvas, I've erased the feedback I gave them on their drafts in the first place.  Any guidance you can offer would be immensely appreciated.  Thanks!  

Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Solutions
Steven_S
Community Champion

It is hard to accidentally erase anything in canvas, so the feedback is probably still there.  First check speedgrader to see if you can see your own feedback.  If it is not there, contact canvas support or your canvas admin.  They will probably be able to access it.  Once you are reassured that the feedback is there, it is probably an interaction between peer reviews and grades that blocks the feedback.

I believe the intended flow is, peer review first, and instructor grading second, with some programming to block students from seeing each other's instructor feedback.  I am basing this on my own experience last semester, when I graded a rough draft early, and then I did not even have a single student complete the peer review.  It seemed that it was no longer available to them. 

As a solution, try waiting until after the peer review is over, and then repost your grades, click save again on the rubric, make a small addition to your feedback, or copy and paste your comment into a new comment.  The update will likely reset the assignment to display to students all of your prior feedback, without allowing access to peer reviewers.

I have been able to have peer feedback and my own feedback visible together, by doing the peer review first with the peers use the rubric, and then after the last day for peer reviews manually assigning my own grade without the rubric, with my feedback as comments.  (I give the peers the rubric for the final paper, and put the much simpler rough draft rubric in the assignment instructions.)

View solution in original post

cholling
Community Champion

@SeanWheeler  -- I ran into an issue last semester where the instructor could see the feedback she posted, but students said they couldn't see it. There was a tiny red asterisk beside the instructor's comment. It turned out that it indicated it was a draft and that the instructor had never actually posted the feedback. You might try to see if you can see the feedback then try submitting it again to see if the students can see it then. This seems to be a tiny glitch that pops up occasionally.

View solution in original post