Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
phil0150
Community Member

File Preview: Continuous Spinning Circle

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have figured out how to imbed a link on my Canvas page so that is automatically viewable without having to download the content. When I go into the Student View mode on Canvas, a blue spinning circle appears as if Canvas is waiting to load the document. Here are the steps I used to imbed the link and make it automatically appear on my Canvas site:

1. Created a new Canvas site

2. Added 5 Modules to the site #

3. Added Assignments to each Module

4. Edited the Assignment by using the "Rich Content Editor" to add a file to the Assignment

5. Linked the URL by clicking on the file name highlighted blue, then clicking on the "Link URL" icon and selecting: " Auto-open the inline preview for this link" and updating the link

After completing these steps the blue spinning circle appears while Canvas tries to load the file in the automatic "file preview" mode.

Is there another way to add a file so that it atomically appears when a student clicks on the Assignment title?

filepreview‌

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rmurchshafer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Chelsea and Earl,

I'm going to start with Earl - I think the reason you don't see the Auto-Open option is because that will only be displayed for links to files in your course and only for file types that the DocViewer can display (word, powerpoint, excel, pdf).  If you are trying to do so with a link to a web page for instance it won't be displayed.  You also need to make sure your cursor is either in the middle of the link, or you have the text selected.

Chelsea - How large is the file?  The first time that DocViewer tries to display an in-line preview it can take a while, especially if the file is large.  In a sense it has to open the file and convert it into a way to display on the web page.  Sometimes leaving the page and coming back to it will help.

I created a short video showing some of this and how I set files to auto open ilos - Auto open inline preview 

Rick

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Community Champion

Hi Chelsea,

This appears to be a very valid question. I tried to replicate your scenario but was not able to, nor was I able to get the features or results that are outlined in this Canvas Guide - HOW DO I SET THE AUTO-OPEN FOR INLINE PREVIEW FOR FILES USING THE RICH CONTENT EDITOR?

The circled option in the 'Link to Website URL' step in the Guide process (shown in the image below), does not appear when I work thru the process as described in the Guides. In addition, I can find no setting to enable this option. Therefore, I clicked the button to indicate that 'I also have this question'.

Option_

rmurchshafer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Chelsea and Earl,

I'm going to start with Earl - I think the reason you don't see the Auto-Open option is because that will only be displayed for links to files in your course and only for file types that the DocViewer can display (word, powerpoint, excel, pdf).  If you are trying to do so with a link to a web page for instance it won't be displayed.  You also need to make sure your cursor is either in the middle of the link, or you have the text selected.

Chelsea - How large is the file?  The first time that DocViewer tries to display an in-line preview it can take a while, especially if the file is large.  In a sense it has to open the file and convert it into a way to display on the web page.  Sometimes leaving the page and coming back to it will help.

I created a short video showing some of this and how I set files to auto open ilos - Auto open inline preview 

Rick

View solution in original post

Thank you Rick! I don't know what piece I missed... maybe it was just a Homeresque 'doh' moment where I forgot to scroll down and 'save', but whatever it was, it works perfectly now, thanks to you and your video. Smiles to you my friend!