File Storage not updating after deleting files

Jump to solution
lhorowitz
Community Novice

I am bumping up against my file storage limit and am unable to upload any more files. When I delete them from the course Files, they disappear, but my File Storage does not update accordingly. How can I remedy this? Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello again  @lhorowitz .  There are actually three file/store quota limits in Canvas, user, course, and group.  This document has information about each, https://s3.amazonaws.com/tr-learncanvas/docs/CanvasFileQuotas.pdf.

At my institution I have run into a few instances where someone couldn't upload a file or something similar and it took a bit of investigating to see if the issue was the size of the file itself, an issue with the course being over the storage, or if the issue was the storage being used by the user their-self.  

When you indicated you deleted files but that didn't impact your file storage, it made me wonder first if the files deleted were being counted against the storage you thought, if the files themselves were deleted or just the link to those files, etc.  This would be difficult to determine without being able to see the course/admin panel and explore a bit.  Your best bet may be to contact a Canvas admin at your institution who will have access to this, or Canvas Support themselves (How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor?).  Either a school Canvas admin or Canvas Support could actually look at your instance of Canvas and see if they could figure out what issue you are up against.  If it is some type of storage quota issue, another option for a school admin would be to increase the quote for a class but this would depend a bit on school policy and procedure.

I hope this helps and please let us know what you find out! 

View solution in original post

0 Likes