cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ketencgs
Community Participant

File preview feature not working?

Hello everyone,

Until yesterday, I was always able to upload a PDF file into Pages and embed an image/preview of it into the Page. So, students could both click on the link to download the PDF file, and also see an inline embedded file preview of the file itself without downloading.

Now, I am only able to upload the file and the file feature is no longer working.

When I click on the paperclip icon ("Link to URL") which used to allow me to create an inline file preview, it links me to a brand new option for hyperlinking which it did not use to do before.

Is the embed feature down?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@ketencgs ‌, I am not able to reproduce this behavior. In an attempt to reproduce, I created a new page, inserted a file into the page using the Content Selector, clicked on the file name, and then on the paperclip in the RCE—and the dialog box still gives me the auto-inline preview option. Upon saving the page, the file auto-previews as expected.

If you've already taken the appropriate cache-clearing-and-different-browser troubleshooting steps, I recommend that you submit a ticket to Canvas Support (How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor?).

Shar
Community Champion

Howdy Grigor,

Like Stefanie, I also tried to reproduce your error and near as I can tell the magic for the link button to display the options for inline previews happens with the Canvas class called: class="instructure_scribd_file"

Inline file preview dialog box

The dialog with these options only appears when that class is there, by default when adding a file, it gets: class="instructure_file_link instructure_scribd_file"

I didn't know this dialog box existed to add those extra options because I'm guilty of putting in vanity classes like icon-pdf to the icon for the resource. Now I know to leave the instructure_scribd_file in there so I can get both the icon and the option for auto-open! :smileygrin:

Cheers - Shar

ketencgs
Community Participant

Hi Shar,

Thank you so much for your response. 

Yes, that is how my box looked like until yesterday, but this morning, the two options for disabling inline previews and auto-opening the inline preview are gone! My inbox ends with the "update link" button.

Is there a way to leave the instructure_scribd_file notation or get it back? Because I'm not sure how to do that.

Thank you!

ketencgs
Community Participant

Thank you, Stefanie!
That's very odd. I tried logging in/out, clearing my cache, and trying with different browsers/computers but to no avail.

I'm interested in Shar's response below and how to get the instructure_scribd_file class back in my code.

Shar
Community Champion

Hi Grigor,

You'll have to switch to HTML view and manually edit the class for the link. https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-15852-421265823 

And while you're at it, you can just tell it to auto_open for the document and by-pass the dialog box completely.

<p><a class="icon-pdf instructure_scribd_file auto_open " title="CharacterCardPlanning.pdf" href="....

Good luck,
Cheers - Shar

ketencgs
Community Participant

Thank you Shar! 

I'll try to figure that out although I pasted what you wrote above and it didn't seem to make a difference.

I guess I'm curious why this feature mysteriously disappeared for me when it was working just fine until yesterday...

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@ketencgs ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment. Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie