Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
csun_klab

Fill in the Blank - misspelled answers

Jump to solution

I am currently making Fill in the Blank questions for my students and would like for the question to accept misspelled answers. 

For example, If the question was, "Who was the first president of the United States?", I would want the question to still be marked correct if they wrote out "Goerge Washinton"

Does such a feature exist on Canvas?  I wasn't able to find a solution on the message boards.

Thank you!

1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @csun_klab  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thank you for posting your question here.  I don't know of anything in the current quizzing interface of Canvas that would allow for incorrect spellings of a word (other than you providing a bunch of possible misspellings...but even then, it would be difficult to guess how students might spell words).  But, I do have some good news for you.  Instructure has been working on a brand new quizzing engine (Quizzes.Next) that people have been beta testing (Note: no official date of the new quizzing engine has been announced yet), and one of the question types includes what you are asking for: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12183-71670780601  Check out the section in this Guide called "Select Text Match".

I know this might not be an immediate solution you are looking for, but hopefully it will help down the road.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @csun_klab  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thank you for posting your question here.  I don't know of anything in the current quizzing interface of Canvas that would allow for incorrect spellings of a word (other than you providing a bunch of possible misspellings...but even then, it would be difficult to guess how students might spell words).  But, I do have some good news for you.  Instructure has been working on a brand new quizzing engine (Quizzes.Next) that people have been beta testing (Note: no official date of the new quizzing engine has been announced yet), and one of the question types includes what you are asking for: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12183-71670780601  Check out the section in this Guide called "Select Text Match".

I know this might not be an immediate solution you are looking for, but hopefully it will help down the road.

mcowen
Instructure
Instructure

In the current quizzes, I have simply put in common misspellings - not a great solution. 

However, Quizzes.Next has the feature you are asking about.  Check out this documentation. The concept you are talking about is called the Levenshtein Distance.  Basically, the number you put in as the Levenshtein Distance is "how many spelling errors can the student make and still have the question marked as correct?"

I hope this helps!